VMware Cloud Community
steve800
Contributor
Contributor

PCNS can't shutdown free VMware ESXi 7.0 VMs and host

Hi,

I downloaded and registered free VMware vSphere Hypervisor 7 (ESXi version 7.0U3g) then I installed it on my Dell server. I'd like my APC SUA1500 UPS shutdown the VMs and host therefore I installed on host the PCNS 5.0 VM from ova file and I configured it recommended by included PCNS442-ESXiHost.mp4 video (https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA296461/).

However, PCNS does not shut down the VMs or the host. The PowerChute.service run on PCNS VM and I created an Administrator user on ESXi with shell access.

When I enter ssh into the PCNS VM, the following message appears on the console:

PowerChute Services are disabled due to invalid credentials. Please refer to the PowerChute User Guide for recovery procedures.

In the PCNS error.log (/opt/APC/PowerChute/group1/error.log) I see the following error message when issuing the shutdown command:

ERROR Thread-30 com.vmware.vim25.ws.WSClient com.vmware.vim25.RestrictedVersion: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) - Exception caught while invoking method: ShutdownHost_Task
2023-07-13T16:54:11,296 ERROR Thread-30 com.apcc.m11.components.shutdowner.hosts.ESXUnmanagedStandaloneHost com.vmware.vim25.RestrictedVersion: Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) - hostShutdown

Can anyone help what the problem is? It would be important because there are regular power outages...

Thanks and Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
steve800
Contributor
Contributor

No one wants to UPS their free VMware ESXi server at home?

Is it not a problem for anyone if the free VMware at home does not shut down properly due to a power outage?

No one can help or give information?

Thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You could switch to a license such as the ones which come with a VMUG Advantage subscription: https://www.vmug.com/membership/vmug-advantage-membership/

The issue you face is documented: https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA278213/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
steve800
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.
I haven't read this yet, it explains a lot. All I read in the PCNS forum was "turn to VMware". Since I have a problem with the free version, I could only turn to the VMware forum, but unfortunately no one has answered so far. Thanks.
VMware does not list this information on its site as a difference between free and paid versions. I don't understand the reason for this mystery.
I also don't understand why PCNS should be prevented from shutting down the free version if there is a power outage. Even home appliances need to be protected with a UPS, otherwise damage will occur in the event of an unexpected power failure. This is an essential service.
VMware's pricing is not designed for home users. I use it at home because I run a lot of the services we need on it. Home Assistant, ZoneMinder, Mediaserver (TVHeadend, Serviio), Nextcloud and others. These can no longer be run on a NAS, but they can work well with VMware on a weaker older server...
Other software vendors do not limit their software in this way...
I was disappointed with VMware...

0 Kudos