VMware Cloud Community
MoMule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pinging ESXi host IP fails after reboot? newbie

VMWare ESXi 4.0.0 ReleaseBuild 171294 - HP ProLiant DL360 G4

The server shot craps so we got a used one same make and model, and swapped out the drives. Now we can't connect to it with the client and we can't ping it, ping times out. When we ping from the console we get inconsistant results, it may ping the first ip addy ok, and then fails to ping the second , or it pings the second ip addy, but fails to ping the first one, it does resolve the host name consistently. We've stopped and started the Management Network and the Management Agents a couple of times but no joy.

I've got the KB Articles 1008446 PInging the ESXi host IP fails after reboot, 1003490 Restarting the Management Agents on an ESX or ESXi Server, and 1003677 Tech Support Mode for Emergency Support.

What do we need to do to get the server back to an operational state? If there's other information you need to help us out please let me know.

And, What distro and version is ESXi 4.0.0 based upon? I've read that it's Redhat, but I couldn't find the version.

I've worked with Aix, Soloris, and Linux over the years so I'm comfortable working from the cmd line if need be.

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi is not Linux. The VMkernel is VMware. The small console that does run on the VMkernel is busybox. ESX has a management virtual machine which is based on RedHat 5 but again the VMkernel is all VMware.

I would verify that the onboard NICs are functioning properly. Boot with a linux rescue disk and test.

If all checks out I would reset the system configuration from the Yellow Console screen. Your configuration will be lost but your VMs etc will be OK. You would need to re add them to the inventory.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi is not Linux. The VMkernel is VMware. The small console that does run on the VMkernel is busybox. ESX has a management virtual machine which is based on RedHat 5 but again the VMkernel is all VMware.

I would verify that the onboard NICs are functioning properly. Boot with a linux rescue disk and test.

If all checks out I would reset the system configuration from the Yellow Console screen. Your configuration will be lost but your VMs etc will be OK. You would need to re add them to the inventory.

0 Kudos
MoMule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for schooling me on the kernel and Linux. I'll give the Linux rescue disk a go tomorrow and see how it checks out.

>>If all checks out I would reset the system configuration from the

Yellow Console screen. Your configuration will be lost but your VMs etc

will be OK. You would need to re add them to the inventory.

Is there a doc that explains the routine of adding them back into the inventory?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When ESXi restarts after a "cleansing" it will automatically detect the datastore. From the vSphere Client right click on the datastore and "Browse". Navigate to the folders for your VMs. Right click on the *.vmx file and "Add to Inventory".

Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

There might be an IP address conflict in your network. I have experienced similar consequences in one of my ESXi 4.0 servers - frequent disconnections and not able to ping host, then I figured out there was an IP address conflict. After giving a new IP address to my ESXi server the problem got resolved, management network is stable and able to ping to my DNS and Gateway servers, Name resolution also works.

Hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Nikhil

MoMule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time to help us out.

0 Kudos