VMware Cloud Community
beemerit
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with vm starting on one server in cluster

Fist off I am new to VMware and virtualization just so you know. I am using 3 physical servers with esx4 and vsphere 4 all three servers are the same in the cluster. I am setting up some windows 2008R2 virtual servers x64. They will start up and run on server 1 and 3 but when I try to start on server 2 it just hangs on a black screen in the console and it will use all the ram I have allicated to that vm. Move to another server the vm will start fine. I can even start the VM on another server and move to server 2 the one it will not start on and it will work fine that way. But will not restart correctly. Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

assuming the 3 hosts are identcal (vendor, model, CPU, RAM, ...), please verify they all run the same firmware and also make sure the BIOS settings are the same. To start troubleshooting, take a look at the vmware.log file which is created when the VM is powered on. You could also compare it with one that is created when you start the VM on another host.

André

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that hardware virtualization is enabled in the BIOS. It is required for running 64bit guests.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
beemerit
Contributor
Contributor

Shut the physical server down checked the bios and hardware virtualization was enabled.

0 Kudos
beemerit
Contributor
Contributor

They are all the same. looking at log file now.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

can you post a screen shot of the exact error?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Just to be on the safe side. Enabling hardware virtualization usually requires a power off restart not just a reboot.

0 Kudos
beemerit
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the physical server was shutdown and booted the physical back to get to the bios Can not really take a screen shot the console screen you see the windows scroll will going across then it goes black the memory usage goes to like 85 percent doesnt matter if the server has 4GB of memory or 26GB of memory

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You need to upload the vmware.log file for that VM. The fact that it will run but not restart is interesting to say the least.

0 Kudos