VMware Cloud Community
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

Ramdisk 'root' full - cannot extend visorfs file /logfiles/*.log because the ramdisk (root) is full

Been trying like crazy to figure out what is filling the ramdisk. I have tried looking at numerous articles but now I am real confused on how to approach this. A 'vdf -h' shows the ramdisk root has 0% free space. I had deleted all *.gz files from /logfiles and that seemed to free up only about 12MB. I looked today and it's at 100% again, so that is not the REAL problem. One I noticed is even though it is at 100% used it is not throwing those "full" messages right now. It has only been a day since I deleted the gz's. Another thing to mention is we have 4 hosts. host 1 showed the full messages and the 100% usage. The other hosts have not shown the "full" messages.

I need a clear procedure on how to check this. I have visited numerous VMware articles including "investigating disk space usage" and it has not helped me. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @AlanRaczek ,

1.Whatis the make and model of the host ?

2. Please confirm if you configured host logging to a persistent location and not the default ramdisk 

3. Please check /var/run/log/vmkernel, hostd.log and vmkwarning.log on the host to see which log directory is being reported in the error

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Systems are  Cisco C240 M4 servers running ESXi 6.5U3, vSAN . 4 hosts. See pic's below on log config:

Log_File_Location.JPGScratch_Location.JPG

I probably have it set incorrectly. Just trying to get around the fact I can't put logs on vSAN. And there really are no other datastores available. Was trying to put logs on local disks.

See errors below in log:

vmkwarning.jpg

Thank you vm.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@AlanRaczek ,

Scratch partition is configured to default /tmp directory. Change it to a local or SAN datastore

Persistent scratch location 

Configuring Syslog 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

Forgive me for being ignorant, but therein lies my problem, identifying a local disk to use and how I reference it. I honestly get confused on what directories are a "ram disk" and what directories are "local disk".

...alan

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@AlanRaczek 

Run either esxcfg-scsidevs  -m   or esxcli storage vmfs extent list

0 Kudos