VMware Cloud Community
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recommended CPU settings for Server 2019 VM

I have my new VM created and Server 2019 installed but it's running extremely slow.

What do you recommend for these settings?

This is what it is currently set at and it's horrible.

Cores = 8
Socket = 1
Cores per socket = 8

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What other settings have you tried?

What is your host CPU spec?

Are you sure it is the CPU confit which is behind the issue?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The host CPU is an Intel Xeon Gold 5218 16C 125W 2.3GHz Processor. 

I just changed it to 2 sockets with 4 per socket but it doesn't seem any faster. 

I am not sure that it is the cause. It's a fresh install and I have not yet restored anything. I've only installed Chrome and Remote PC so far because it's easier to work in. Those programs were on the original server so I didn't expect them to be an issue. 

Jessicasdd_0-1703998473937.png

Every time it hangs it closes everything that's open and leaves me at the desktop.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
behnamkhani1990
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried 1 socket with 4 or 8 vCPU?

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was 1 socket, 8 cores originally.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>Every time it hangs it closes everything that's open and leaves me at the desktop.

That sounds like more than poor performance, have you checked all the logs to find the cause of the hang?

Your screen shot shows low CPU. How about the load on the host? Installed roles?

Lightly loaded 2019 Essentials here. File server and DC, only 21 users. Runs fine with one socket and 2 cores. 

0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Piling onto the load question - but not the VM - the host - what does the host load look like from the VCS perspective?  Or if it was a default deployment onto the host - does it have default settings for priority of  resources (share everything evenly) or might there be another VM on the host that has higher workload and priority for resources?  Just thinking through the larger infrastructure to see if that could be the challenge.

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right now it's the only VM. We had our file server (which is what I just replaced) and a DC on here before we lost our storage unit. I just increased the MTU to 9000 on the synology. Hoping that will help.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos