VMware Cloud Community
Peter_Cox
Contributor
Contributor

Remove an Inactive NFS Volume from ESXi 4

Have an ESXi V4 host with an NFS volume pointing to an NFS server that has gone away - permanently.

The Volumne shows as Inactive in vClient and cannot be Unmounted or Deleted - returns 'Unable to unmount filesystem:Busy' error.

How does one get rid of such an entry in the storage view?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Check to make sure there are no references to the NFS datastore in any of the VM's. Look for anything you may have connected to, in the unsupported console or script etc. If there is any reference you won't be able to delete it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Peter_Cox
Contributor
Contributor

Yes have checked for connections to that volume - VMDK, CD, Floppy etc.

Not sure what you are referring to in the comment - 'in the unsupported console or script etc'

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If it has no meaning to you then it probably doesn't apply. It really is about being very thorough. Were there VM's, ISOs templates that were on the NFS volume that weren't "Removed from Inventory" before the NFS volume was removed from the network?

0 Kudos
Peter_Cox
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but they have since been Removed from Inventory and they have disappeared from the Inventory display in vClient.

But then yet again I have overlooked the Obvious!!! The ESX server has not been rebooted.

Reboot ESX and I can delete the NFS Volume.

Don't you just hate it when your Unix box start behaving like a Windows Server?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You may then need to restart the host.

0 Kudos
i5513
Contributor
Contributor

No solution for this ?

Only rebooting the esxi ?

Could be an lsof in esxi so we could know what is hapenning here!

Thank you

0 Kudos