VMware Cloud Community
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Retrieve VM from ESXi v6 or make copy ...

Hi all,

my customer asks to have a copy of the production VM on his computer for testing purposes with vmware workstation.
So i'am new on vmware products
I have ESXi v6 without vCenter, only vmware vsphere client
How i can retrieve a copy of this VM?
Is there a tool for this ?
What is all the prerequisites to do this operation safely (vm off, vm on......)
Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

They could export the VM to OVF, which can then be imported into Workstation.

Be sure to configure the VM not to use any host-specific hardware or items such as ISO files before doing the export.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can clone the VMDK (VM disk) - Preferrable from CLI when VM is powered-off . Reference: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1028042

Once you have the disk create a new VM and use the existing VMDK to attach or if you want it to save locally then download teh from from Datastore to you Jump Box (You can even use WInscp to copy the file ) 

Regards,

Kashif

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Connect to the ESXi host from VMware Workstation Pro, and use the Download option (right click VM -> Manage -> Download) to create a local copy.

André

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi scott28tt

Can you tell me lot about "not to use any host-specific hardware or items "

So i will detach iso file if there is one, but what are others host-specific hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Kashif for your answer

i think this way is advanced for me now

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Is it recommanded by vmware? is there any prerequisite of vmware workstation version?

the VM will be off ?, how many time will take ( vm ~ 100 Go, because i will do it outoff working hours

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Is it recommanded by vmware?
Not sure about an explicit recommendation. However, it's built in into the product, so why not use it.

>>> is there any prerequisite of vmware workstation version?
Meeting the documented requirements should be fine. Remember that you can download&evaluate VMware Workstation Pro for 30 days for free.

>>>the VM will be off ?
Yes.

>>> how many time will take ( vm ~ 100 Go, because i will do it outoff working hours
This depends on your network, and storage speed. Assuming a minimum of 4 GB/min with a 1 gbps network, and decent storage, I'd expect the download to take less than ~30 min.

André

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André

I accept your answer as correct

i'm waiting for scott28tt answers's, then i will choose between vmware WS or export to OVF using vSphere client.

0 Kudos