VMware Cloud Community
oklord
Contributor
Contributor

Selected Windows 2012 in wizard but it installed Win 7!

I'm running vmSphere 5.5..

I'm not sure what's up but I've tried it three times even as a custom install.  During the wizard of creating a virtual server I did select for guest OS for Windows 2012 .

It loaded various components and then gives me the Windows 7 change computer name screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oklord
Contributor
Contributor

Also I checked in Settings under the Options Tab and in the right pane it said OS installed was Windows 2012 server 64 bit. Yet the console screen logs into Win7!

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

I think we need more information. 

Are you installing via ISO or template?  If by ISO, perhaps the ISO you're using is for Win7 and not 2012?  Choosing the OS in the wizard only recommends settings such as minimum memory, HD size/controller, etc.  You need to install the OS yourself. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
oklord
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure how to determine ISO vs template.  I'm researching that now.

VM is new to me.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

How did you deploy a new VM?  Did you right click on the ESXi Host and choose NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE?  If so, no OS gets installed.  After the VM is created, you then need to install the OS using media however you normally would (CD/DVD Mounted in your PC/Server, ISO, PXE, etc)

If you have DHCP and PXE setup, it's possible you have a deployment solution setup that when you PXE boot it pushes Win7. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
oklord
Contributor
Contributor

It calls the windows deployment services and loads an image that is Windows 7

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Then there is your answer.  You need to mount an ISO and install the OS yourself.  Smiley Happy

oklord
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much.  Yep Deployment Services was kicking off Win7 install.  I mounted a DVD drive on my client and ran 2012 install.  On my way!

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

No problem.  Glad I was able to help you solve the mystery!

0 Kudos