VMware Cloud Community
SebCH
Contributor
Contributor

Slow network with VMTool 8.6 for Windows

Hi,

I ran through a strange problem last days.

I've a VM (Windows 2008 R2 SP1) on a ESXi 5.0.0, 515841 host with VM Tools 8.6 installed (VM Version = 8).

When I copy multiple files from a network share to the local drive of the VM (D:\), it takes long time (aprox 12 sec for 50Mo/450 files).

If I uninstall VM Tools from the VM/Reboot and start the copy again it takes only 5 sec for the same folder to copy from network share to the VM !

Anyone encountred this problem ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is strange.

So the vm tools is slowing down the process? What is the scsi adapter for the vm as?

R

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006277 to see whether you are hit by this known issue with the vmxnet3 adapter.

If this doesn't apply, please provide some details about your network setup (virtual machine and ESXi host)

André

0 Kudos
SebCH
Contributor
Contributor

That's strange. I have the same behaviour as described in kb but with a e1000 network card in my VM.

Without 8.6 VMtools or with older tools (8.3.7) I dont have slow network performance...

Here is a more detailed description of the VM:

Windows 2008 R2 SP1

AntiVirus disabled !

CPU : 1 socket w 2 Core

8GB RAM

SCSI : LSI Logic SAS

Network Adapter : e1000

VM Version 8

The VM is connected to a Distributed Virtual Switch.

I upgraded from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.0 (515841) recently and I dont think the problem was present before.

If you need more information feel free to ask...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos