VMware Cloud Community
Matthew_Procter
Contributor
Contributor

Slow vSphere 5.1 Host boot after adding local storage

I have just added some local storage to 3 of our identical HP servers.  The first 2 had the stoage added when running 5.0 and had no problems and boot up fine.  Then we added a new SAN that needed updated HP drivers, so we upgraded to 5.1.0 b, everything still fine.  Now I have added local storage to my 3rd server and after 12 hours of boot, its still sitting at deltadisk loaded successfully.

I am using the onboard Smart Array P410i to control SAS disks.

HP DL380 G7 - in the HCL

HP p2000 SAN - in the HCL

HP QLogic Fibre HBA - in the HCL

If I leave the fibre connected, the boot process stalls earlier at vmw_satp_alua loaded successfully.

Anyone have any idea's (other than pull the local storage, which is what I am probably going to have to do)

Cheers

Matthew

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure if at this stage it is already possible to switch to the vmkernel log screen (ALT-F12). Maybe worth a try?

André

Matthew_Procter
Contributor
Contributor

André,

Thanks, I got to the vmkernel log screen, found an error "sitpua for device naa.xxx. Error Not supported" so decided to try removing devices to see what the cause was.  The first thing I removed was the local disks I added & hey presto it boots.  Upon investigating further I found that the cache for the array controller had died and we are currently waiting for a replacement.  As the other 2 working servers do have idntical parts (have checked part number and firmware on all 3) the only difference was the dead cache.

Without you mentioning the Alt-F12 (which I have been told about and used before, but it was about 4-5 years ago now)I wouldn't have found my issue.

Thanks

Matthew

0 Kudos