VMware Cloud Community
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Read Only

Hi All,

We have a Datastorage that is in sDRS group that just changed to read/only. At least it seems because we cannot save nothing on it.

We had some issues regarding networking on the iSCSI network and some of the Storage were unstable ins disconnect and connect. But right now this one just don’t allow any changes. Change on the Datastorage side to another host is the same problem.

If we try to do any changes on console in the vmfs/volumes/storage we can save(also connecting vSphere client to any host), delete files, but not on vCenter itself.

There is a second Datastorage on that sDRS but have no problem.

So what can be the problem? What can we test, check(witch logs) to see the problem.

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Forgot to add the error message.

Call "FileManager.MakeDirectory" for object "FileManager" on vCenter Server "vcenter.domain" failed.

JL

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry initial message miss some letters Smiley Happy

##################################

We have a Datastorage that is in sDRS group that just changed to read/only. At least it seems because we cannot save nothing on it.

We had some issues regarding networking on the iSCSI network and some of the Storage were unstable ins disconnect and connect. But right now this one just don’t allow any changes. Change on the Datastorage side to another host is the same problem.

If we try to do any changes on console in the vmfs/volumes/storage we can save(also connecting vSphere client to any host), delete files, but not on vCenter itself.

There is a second Datastorage on that sDRS but have no problem.

So what can be the problem? What can we test, check(witch logs) to see the problem.

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure what storage system you are using, but I would start there and ensure the server has read/write privlidges on that volume/LUN. Also, look at the permissions on the datastore from the ESXi command line.

JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank You for your reply.

The Storage is Equalogic.Regarding LUN permissions, we did not change anything on that side, but I have double that already, still r/w.

Permission on the ESXi side?? You mean a ls -lisa on the volumes?

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure, go to /vmfs/volumes/

ls -l should give you the permissions. I forget what the default permissions are, but I'm thinking anything less than 640 is going to cause problems. 

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

4 1024 drwxr-xr-t    1 root     root                  6300 Jul 12 15:34 4f795c07-d1090d68-b51d-001edf4119b6
4 1024 drwxr-xr-t    1 root     root                  6860 Jul 12 13:07 4f795f4f-025fe888-a543-001edf4119b6

2147483647    0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root                 35 Jul 12 17:50 Storage01 -> 4f795c07-d1090d68-b51d-001edf4119b6
2147483647    0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root                 35 Jul 12 17:50 Storage02 -> 4f795f4f-025fe888-a543-001edf4119b6

Both are equal, Storage01 is with the problem, Storage02 is ok with r/w, both are from the same sDRS.

I only have one iSCSI adapter and have 20 hosts on this cluster.

And this was running fine until the network problems.

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried rebooting the host?

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Yes of course and is 20 hosts on this cluster.

JL

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about vcenter?

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Yep I have tried everything. I already change the settings in the Storage side, use chap, direct, disable sDRS and remove the datastore from that sDRS, nothing worked Smiley Sad

JL

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

After my changes last night, today is working Smiley Sad

I dont know what fixes. But I think the remove sDRS and disable sDRS and creating again fix the problem. But since after I was not able to tested, I do now know if this was the problem.

So thank you for our collaboration on trying to help on this.

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos