VMware Cloud Community
DBennett1971
Contributor
Contributor

The host returns esxupdate error codes: -1. ESXi 6.7 error

What's the best way to identify the VIB with incorrect Payload causing the Update to fail?

Cause

This issue is caused by a VIB installed on the ESXi having a different payload value than would be expected according to the information in its metadata

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you get the error message on an ESXi host directly (in which community you posted your question), or when trying to update the host from vCenter Server (which I assume)?

In case of vCenter Server, consider to reset the update manager DB.
see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147284?lang=en_us (please read the Impact/Risks section !)

André

0 Kudos
DBennett1971
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I get the error on the host through vCenter Update Manager. I was trying to find out HOW you identify affected VIBs. All i find when i search the error message is to 'remove the affected VIBs with incorrect payloads' but no details on how to find them. I prefer to go this route to find them and remove them rather that reset the Update DB as i have a high dependency on NSX-T in this environment

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@DBennett1971,

You can connect to the ESXi over SSH and get the following logs:

/var/log/vua.log

/var/log/esxupdate.log

Those should show the affected VIBs. If you want, copy those logs here so we can help you.

0 Kudos
DBennett1971
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've uploaded a copy of the esxupdate log file. Can you spot anything in that?

For the original ESXi install we used a custom image - VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-17700523-Custom-Cisco-6.7.3.1

Declan

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am seeing some errors related to the altbootbank partition where the VIBs are stored:

altbootbank is invalid: Error in loading boot.cfg from bootbank /bootbank: Error parsing bootbank boot.cfg file /bootbank/boot.cfg: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/bootbank/boot.cfg

Could you please run:

ls -ltr /

df -h

Copy both outputs to see the results.

0 Kudos