VMware Cloud Community
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

The server was powered off abnormally, causing the virtual machine in esxi to be unable to power on,

The attachments are vmkwarning.log, vmkernel.log. Thanks for helping me analyze it.

2024-02-01T19:20:01.176Z cpu3:2100521)WARNING: HBX: 5498: Replay of journal <type 6 addr 11> on vol 'Data' failed: Lost previously held disk lock
2024-02-01T19:20:01.675Z cpu3:2100521)WARNING: HBX: 5498: Replay of journal <type 6 addr 11> on vol 'Data' failed: Lost previously held disk lock
2024-02-01T19:20:02.175Z cpu3:2100521)WARNING: HBX: 5498: Replay of journal <type 6 addr 11> on vol 'Data' failed: Lost previously held disk lock
2024-02-01T19:20:02.676Z cpu3:2100521)WARNING: HBX: 5498: Replay of journal <type 6 addr 11> on vol 'Data' failed: Lost previously held disk lock

How can I solve this problem? Please help me, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could try removing the VM from vCenter/ESXi inventory by unregistering it and then try re-registering it from the datastore .vmx file.
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

you can also look if in the VM folder isnt a .lock file which lock the vmdk files (virtual disks) and then delete it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this ESXi on ARM, or on x86?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

I think we need a little more info, have you tried any of the suggestions above?

Is this an ESXi on ARM specific issue, if not I can move this thread to the general ESXi section.

Is this local or shared storage, I see it is block storage?

Can you confirm there is free space on the datastore, I see it is a VMFS volume called Data, can you write new files to the datastore? (try the touch command in the ESX DCUI/SSH)

Have you run a VOMA check? This would check the Meta data consistency for the volume... it would also guide you on if there are stale/orphaned locks.  Again I'm only suggesting a check run... (voma -m vmfs -f check -d /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.xxxx:x)

Please let us know as we are all really excited to help out!

0 Kudos
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

x86
0 Kudos
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to unregister the virtual machine and re-registered the virtual machine, but it still failed to boot.

0 Kudos
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5 virtual machines running on a single ESXI, but all of them cannot boot normally. There is no .lck file in the virtual machine I tested, and it still cannot be opened normally. Other virtual machines have .lck files, and I have renamed them .lck.bak. Still not working. my friend

0 Kudos
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

x86,I still have a lot of data storage space. It is local storage. I cannot run the voma check because mine is VMFS_6 and voma does not support the VMFS_6 protocol. Thank you very much, my friend

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which ESXi version do you currently run?

Maybe an update/patch will help. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/60394

André

0 Kudos
name8899
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 7.0.3 build-19482537
VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3

Yes, I've seen this solved too, but my version is too advanced to fix it. Is there a patch package for 7.0.3 that can help me fix it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the version that you run, VOMA should work for VMFS6 datastores (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2036767).

Before trying to fix things using VOMA, make sure that you have a current backup of your VMs!!!

André