VMware Cloud Community
Coleman20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to "Use Windows Session Credentials" to log into ESXi 4.1 348481

I am unable to log into any of my ESXi4.1 Build 348481 servers using Windows Session Credentials.  I have searched the discussions extensively and KB but no luck.  I have checked all of the DNS entries as instructed here "http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102953..." with no luck.  I have tried all of the suggestions here "http://communities.vmware.com/thread/282912?start=0&tstart=0" also.  If I enter the domain credentials as listed below, it works.  I just cannot get the use windows session credentials to work.  One odd thing I noticed, the error message about "cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password" is exactly the same as if I entered my password incorrectly.  However, if I enter my password incorrectly an event is logged indicating a bad password but when I use the windows session credentials, no message is logged.  I really need this to work and it is about to drive me crazy.  If I have to enter a username and password, why bother using domain credentials.  It would be quicker to just use the root account.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

These methods work but require you to manually enter the information:

Domain\Username

username@your.domain.com

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ETastic
Contributor
Contributor

No posts yet, just throwing this out there....

I never use windows auth for local box auth, instead of root I'll create the local account, then give that account rights as admin vs logging into them as root all the time no different than admining any Linux box.

I use windows auth within vCenter

0 Kudos
DonChino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, I am getting the same error so I just want you to know that you are NOT alone. :smileycool:

Anyway, I used to be able to login by just checking the box next to "Use Windows Session Credentials" but that was when I was running 4.1 U1.

So obviously something changed since I upgraded to 4.1 U2 so I suspect that is the problem.

1) I believe my initial install was a standalone machine, but after it was installed I decided to join the DOMAIN so that I could grant people access.

2) I used to run everything under the System Account but when I did the upgrade to 4.1 U2 I was part of the DOMAIN so I figured I'd just choose the option run everything under a DOMAIN USER account.

So these are the two things I did differently because otherwise it was just a straight upgrade, but now I cannot log in with my DOMAIN User Account by just checking that little box although it works if I enter Name and Password manually. Plus vCenter is running under my DOMAIN user account, so I am not sure what is wrong but it seems to be tied to something with the DOMAIN at least from my own experience.

I will probably have to uninstall everything and do it all over again. :smileycry:

I REALLY do not feel like entering name and password every time, so VMware REALLY needs to add some ability to save your password or fix this Session Credentials thing because obviously it is not working...

0 Kudos
DonChino
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a quick update, but I basically tried to do an Acronis Restore and do the upgrade again only to find the same problem, so I tried to remember everything that I did differently and I realized that my our DOMAIN password has to be changed every year. Now this has nothing to do with VMware directly since I do not run ANY services as a DOMAIN account although I did choose to have the upgrade run vCenter under my DOMAIN USER account, but the original install did not.

So even with the Acronis Restore back to 4.0 (it seems I was not running 4.1 U1) it still did not work, so I basically scrapped it and basically installed Windows from scratch, installed SQL Server, installer vCenter, and joined it to the DOMAIN but using 4.1 U2 from scratch. Now I am able to login by checking the "SESSION CREDENTIALS" box, so I am not sure what went wrong but I am starting to suspect that it was the DOMAIN password change that occured.

Who knows at this point though, but I guess the only way to get around this stupid error is to do a clean install for now because it is possible that something gets tripped up which may be due to some certificate tied to your password?! *scratches head*

Oh well, it works for me now but just a pain to rebuild it all.

:smileyangry:

0 Kudos