VMware Cloud Community
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VMs on ESXi 4.1

Hello,

When starting VMs in (single) vSphere ESX(i) 4.1, I get "the operation is not allowed in the current connection state of the host".

The only way to resolve the issue is restart the Management Agent on console. How can I avoid this frequently problem ?

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Can you see if there is any task pending to start or in progress in your vCenter?

0 Kudos
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, no tasks are pending.

0 Kudos
Threonine
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing this problem for the first time today on a brand new environment.  The configuration includes two hosts with ESXi embedded and vCenter Server setup with an HA cluster.  I have Update Manager installed, which was causing some vCenter tasks to hang last week.  I haven't addressed that problem yet.

Restarting the management agents resolved the problem for the time being...

0 Kudos
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

I have resolved the issue putting in Suspend mode all VMs, the ESXi host where I had problems is a test environment that usually is powered on and off  so the VMs are rebooted, changing from shutdown to suspend the problem goes away.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

great to hear that i has being resolved, if it's happening to often i would suggest create a support request with vmware support.

0 Kudos