VMware Cloud Community
johnnorris
Contributor
Contributor

Using VMware EXSI 7.0 but not seeing promiscuous network traffic on VM

Hi,

I have a Win10 VM on VMware EXSI 7.0.   I have a physical NIC on the server that is receiving mirror traffic.    I have created a vSwitch / port group / attached this NIC to it.     Looking at the topology things look correct however I'm not seeing the traffic (only some broadcasts).    I have made sure I set "port group" , "security" , "promiscous" to accept.    Is there any other things I need to do to see all of the traffic on this physical NIC on the VM?

Thanks for your help.

John

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What software are you running inside the VM that would set the virtual NIC into promiscuous mode at that OS later?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
johnnorris
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the response.   I'm running Windows10 on the VM with Wireshark.    There isn't any settings I know of in the NIC other than I  disable "vlan & priority tagging".    This causes an issue in the past with seeing all of the traffic.    We had a similar setup with VMware 5.x but things worked in that case.   

John

0 Kudos