VMware Cloud Community
lareunion974
Contributor
Contributor

Using a USB key device on a VM in an HA cluster ESX4.1

Hello,

My Hardware is an IBM Bladecenter with 2 HS22 server for a cluster HA.

I need to copy some file on a VM in a ESX 4.1 HA cluster by <span style="visibilit. I have put the mediatray on the HS22 server that run my VM. On this VM i have a USB controller, but i can't add a usb device (it's disable "grey"). </p> How can i mount my USB key in my VM ? Anyone tried this one?

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

there is a tutorial here http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/general-virtualization-articles/using-usb-devi...

on the button being greyed, you need to ensure that the VM is on virtual hardware v7.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

lareunion974
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Idle-jam,

Thank you for this tutorial Smiley Happy, but that not work for me Smiley Sad .

My Guest OS is Window 2003 and my virtual hardware is v7. I can add a usb controller to my Virtual Machine but i can' t add USB device on it.

I have another HS22 server (with free ESXi4 ) that is not in HA Cluster and the tutorial work when i put the mediatray on it!

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Can we do a further isolation as in the problematic host. can you add the usb devices on another virtual machine (power off) or another virtual machine (power on). this would isolate whether it's a host issue or virtual machine issues that needs to be power off (very unlikely but no harm tring)

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
lareunion974
Contributor
Contributor

I have add the usb device on another virtual machine "VMmachine" on the second HS22 in the HA CLUSTER and it work.

When i migrate "VMmachine" on the first HS22 and i put the mediatray on it, i can't add the usd device.

It's a host issue, i think... Smiley Sad ? How can i resolve it ?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen such in my environment but it's just for that particular VM only. the last time i had was we did a reboot of the virtual machine. and it was fine thereafter. i'm not sure if you have such luxury. you could wait for the rest to chip in or maybe create a SR?

0 Kudos
tschoening
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing happened to me, but after restarting the VM I was able to add the USB device!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos