VMware Cloud Community
areeb1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VLAN-Port Groups

Hello,

I have more than one esxi 5 host, separated by a physical Network, i want to configure some vlans on each host, assume i want to use three port groups each of a unique vlan id on a vSwitch on one of the hosts, i create a port groups and i give them a vlan ids. Should the connection between the Physical NIC on the Host and the external Switch have a specific configuration on the nic side or on the physical switch side? because i read about this on many cases on the internet each one talk about something different.

Please Help Me

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

areeb1988 wrote:

but if all the hosts on the same physical switch, should i use trunk connection ?

Yes, it does not matter. Note however that "trunk" is what Cisco calls a switchports which sends/accepts frames with VLAN tagging. If you have switches from other vendors the name "trunk" might not be what you shall configure.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No normaly you just need to enable trunking on your physical switch port that your ESXi host gets access to all your VLANs.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
areeb1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mario,

but if all the hosts on the same physical switch, should i use trunk connection ?

Regards

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

areeb1988 wrote:

Yes, it does not matter. Note however that "trunk" is what Cisco calls a switchports which sends/accepts frames with VLAN tagging. If you have switches from other vendors the name "trunk" might not be what you shall configure.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos