VMware Cloud Community
Horpel
Contributor
Contributor

VM Cloning/Transfers cause Blade outage

We're experiencing a heck of a problem during cloning or migration processes.

I used to be able to do this sort of thing without any problems, though the speed was still not all that great.

Hardware:

HP Proliant C3000 enclosure

BL460c G7 blades

BLc SB40c Storage blade

Enclosure is connected to Netgear Gigabit switch

Nowadays, whenever I try to do a Clone in Vcenter from one blade to another, one of the blades loses connectivity to Vcenter and the network - usually not the one involved in the transfer.  It appears to me that the blade loses network connectivity altogether, but the VMs conitnue to run.  I can't confirm this because I can't ping any of them during this time.  But the blade power remains constant and when the transfer finishes, the blade reconnects and all services are restored.

Knowing this problem was occurring and that I had to perform a massive VM transfer that could take overnight, I powered down all VMs with the hopes that the transfer speed would improve.  This, sadly, was not the case. The transfer took longer than expected and I had to cancel it altogether just to get services back up for business.

So my two concerns are

1. Why such slow transfer speeds when all blades are communicating via the interconnects or, at worst, a Gigabit switch?

2. Does anyone know the cause of the blade losing connectivity during transfer processes of any kind?

These are intolerant symptoms when one has VM's that require more space than what is simply required for an OS.

I realize this may not be due to VM configuration, but it quite possibly could be...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Hpw is the networking configured in your blades? Are the VMs stored on a SAN or shared or are they stored locally to the blades? You might be saturating the vmkernel port -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Horpel
Contributor
Contributor

That's a very good question, and I'll admit, I don't have a good understanding of virtual networking.

Most of the VM's are stored locally on each blade while a few are stored on our storage blade (All within the enclosure).

Most all of the network configuration is default.

Here is what I see within the Vswitch properties panel:

Network adapter Speed 1000 Full

Name: vmnic0

Driver: be2net

Link Status: Connected

Configured Speed, Duplex:  1000Mb Full Duplex

Actual Speed, Duplex: 1000Mb Full Duplex

iSCSI port binding: Disabled

I'm sure that doesn't cover what you are looking for, so if specific properties help in this discussion, let me know.

I can tell you that all three blades are configured with default settings.  I have not configured VLAN for any of them.

0 Kudos