VMware Cloud Community
mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere 4 does not see added physical RAM

I have a server running Vshpere 4 standard.  It had 16GB of RAM and I added another 8 to bring it to 24GB.  When I powered everything back up, vcenter (and vclient into the server itself) is still showing 16GB for the server however, under hardware status tab it shows 6 slots with 4GB ea.  So it seems to me the RAM is registered physically but VSphere isn't reconizing it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the server itself recognize the additional RAM? Servers usually require the correct placement of the RAM modules.

Please double check the RAM is correctly shown in the server's BIOS.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX or ESXi?  Have you tried restarting the management agents, or disconnecting and reconneting the host in question in and out of vCenter?

0 Kudos
mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 4.0

Even if I don't use vcenter and I use the vclient to go directly to that server, it shows 16GB.  Disconnecting and reconnecting had no change.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

firmware is current?  Even though your restarted the box, you have tried to restart the management agents?

service mgmt-vmware restart

You can also run the below commands from the console to check memory

cat /proc/meminfo

or

dmidecode | grep "Size"

0 Kudos
mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I do this, will it disconnect any VM'S?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I do this, will it disconnect any VM'S?

no, your VM's will be fine.

0 Kudos
mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did the restart, no change, the cat suggestion sent back no such file or directory and the dmi command sent back configuration page size but no size of memory.  I am a Linux novice so I may need help running commands.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the server itself recognize the additional RAM? Servers usually require the correct placement of the RAM modules.

Please double check the RAM is correctly shown in the server's BIOS.

André

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is the startup of the server, test the RAM correctly? Does it show 24 GB?

What is the brand of your server and the model?

If it is a HP server, maybe it is need to update the firmwares, it has an addon for mangement of ESX.

mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Due to the weather, I got in too late to reboot everything and I am out of the office the next 2 days so I will try this on Monday.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear friend;

If these replies were useful, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

This is important for get the vExpert Score.

Thank u

Saman

If these replies were not the answer, just response to find the solution, so it is useful for me too.

0 Kudos
mskyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I shutdown the server and 2 chips from 5 & 6 to the 7 & 8 slots.  Then everything came up correctly so I don't know if it is the slots themselves or they were not seated correctly.  It is all good now, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos