VMware Cloud Community
basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter DB growth

Hi,

My vcenter DB is builtin SQL and it is almost 10 GB. The Vcenter service stopped intermittently due to the DB oversized report. I followed the DB cleanup procedure explained in the below link and reduced the days to keep the events and tasks up to 7 days from 180 days. I shrinked both Data and files. Unfortnately still my DB is not in safe in size. Are there any other data occupying my DB size other than events and tasks?

Kindly support how to truncate the historical data timely. I only need to keep atleast 1 month.

My version, Vshpere 5.1 U2

The link i followed:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102591...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey basheerptm,

In the VI client go to vCenter Setting and inside there you can change how long vCenter holds its statistics for.  By dropping  how long vCenter holds on to some data you can greatly shrink your database or keep it under control.

I hope this has helped.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The first step is to find out which table is consuming the space. Do do this I'd suggest you run the SQL query from step 5 in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005333. The second step then is to find out whether the large tables can be cleaned up. The last time I ran into such an issue (in a VMware View environment), it was indeed the VPX_TEXT_ARRAY as mentioned in the KB article.

André

0 Kudos
basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

The table VPX_EVENT_ARG is the highest size, nearly 9 GB. the TEXT_ARRAY is not that big. Is there a way to reduce EVENT_ARG table? I have set 7 days to keep events and task.

Thanks for the support

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

In today's world where data storage is so cheap why u do not considered to allow 365 days data ? I did myself that. Just add more disk that is more worth it.

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

One more thing, why u still using 5.1 U2 ,when 5.5 u1 is there... don't  it otherwaise . i am just speaking my mind ..

0 Kudos
basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your input.

Actually it is not the matter of adding more disks. VC built-in SQL DB has limitation to store upto 10GB data and this itself is filling up very fast. I want to know what is filling it and how to truncate the existing table. In my case the table VPX_EVENT_ARG over filled up to 8 GB out of 10Gb total.

However, i am still exploring to know what is piling my db events.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

you should delete the content of the VPX_EVENT_ARG.

I would recommend you to use truncate to remove the table, because it not use so much the db transaction log.

The database size limit is about  (data + transaction log) size

Then, setting a database retention policy would be a good idea Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos