VMware Cloud Community
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualizing Windows Server 2008 R2?

After a few months of evaluating ESX vs. Hyper-V the company I work for has decided to license ESX Essentials. One of my tasks is to migrate all of the Virtual Machines from Hyper-V into our new ESX cluster.

The Windows 2003 servers are easy enough to do - the Virtual Machine Converter does a good job of moving them after uninstalling the Hyper-V Integration tools but i have two Server 2008 R2 machines which need to be moved.

Since the latest version of the Converter doesn't support P2V of 2008 R2 I did some googling and came across two guides:

http://www.sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

and

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1533774#1533774

I've had better luck with the first of the guides and was able to successfully use the Starwind V2V tool to change the files to vmdks...

Now I'm stuck with the first of the 2008 R2 servers BSOD'ing with the 7B stop error. I can't quite figure out what part of the .vmx file to modify... I've also seen a reference to modifying the OS so that it appears to be Server 2008 (not R2) but again how to do this escapes me.

If someone could reply with a step by step or some help with modifying the .vmx file I think I can manage to finish off the migration and keep my boss happy with me!

TIA!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

I am the author of the first guide you mentioned.

Please post an example vmx-file so that i can tell you what to do with it.

Also I would like to understand which parts of the guide need more explanation

Ulli

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

I am the author of the first guide you mentioned.

Please post an example vmx-file so that i can tell you what to do with it.

Also I would like to understand which parts of the guide need more explanation

Ulli

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Ulii - I'm presuming that you're the author of the guide on sanbarrow.com...

The vmx that Starwind V2V/ESX created is attached to this post. I'm attempting to do the Hyper-V to ESX cold clone option as it seems to be the best fit for my situation.

Perhaps it's just my inexperience with ESX which is causing me the issue but it looks to me like the .vmx file is more or less configured the way you show in your guide. I did not modify it but it does have the scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068" line in it. I can add the scsi0:0.fileName = "imported.vmdk" line but I wasn't sure if this was necessary... Your guide says that it should already be present...

I did select a repair boot and followed the steps to edit the registry but this did not solve the BSOD with 7B issue. In fact when I added the registry hive the DWORD value was already present.

Any help you can offer is appreciated. I'm thinking that I could also use the Windows Server Backup to perform a bare metal restore into a fresh 2008 R2 installation in ESX and am exploring this option now.

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Rogard but I need a free solution... The Boss's wallet is padlocked shut at the moment.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your vmx-file is fine - nothing to do here.

Next thing to check are the registry settings.

To do you must use a Win7 or 2008 R2 recovery CD - make sure you use the 64bit version.

After boot you ignore all recovery options and continue until you get to a cmd.

Then type regedit.

When regedit has started hilight the HKLM-key and c lick "load hive" in the menu.

Then you would need to select the system-hive file which is in the config subdir of system32.

Locate the key that I described on my site - please make a screenshot then and attach it

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same issue...Ulli provided allot of help...in the end i did get it working but imported to VMware workstaion then to ESX..

See here..allot to read but may help..

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/265470?start=0&tstart=0

CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulii - Screen capture is attached. I'm using the Repair Windows option on boot rather than the Win7/Win2008R2 disk. I'll try mounting the .ISO to the machine if you feel this is necessary.

I did not edit the Start DWORD - the default value is 0. Again, thanks for the help!

Samuk - I'll keep the VMware Workstation path in mind but I think I'll try the Windows Server backup image and do a bare metal restore next as I don't have a license for Workstation and can't tell if it has a full feature 30 day eval mode.

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulii - Okay, I'll take full credit for wanting to skip a step in the documentation. Using the CD to boot into repair mode and loading the registry key showed a value of 3 in the DWord rather than 0. Changing it to 0 has allowed the server to boot.

Your guide works I just need to learn to follow exact steps Smiley Happy

The Hyper-V image I used is stale - I did the migration about three days ago... I'll repeat the process tonight and get a fresh vmdk loaded into the VMWare server.

Thanks for your help Ulii!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so you were a lazy boy and my documentation is ok ?

Then everything is fine

Ulli

0 Kudos
CNenzel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulii - chuckle Yes, I was lazy. You might want to put the part about using the CD and not the built in repair tool into your guide but if I'd followed the steps I woudn't have had an issue. I'll use your guide for the second 2008 R2 box I need to migrate and anticipate that I will be able to complete it without issue.

For anyone who finds this down the road the Windows Server Backup Image left me with a BSOD 7B as well. I still had to use Ulii's patch method to get the server to boot. The Backup/Restore was a bit faster than copying the /vhd's, using Starwind's V2V and then pushing the vmdk's to the ESX server. Your mileage may vary as my network suffers from non-optimal server to server throughput.

Thanks again to all who added comments and helped! Hopefully some day I can return the favor!

0 Kudos
DavidSPoole
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulii,

I have gone thru your documentation several times. Attempted this "repair" several times. It does work!

0 Kudos