VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Visualizing a Physical Server

Hi,

I need a quick answer back on this - if possible?

We have a Physical Server and we need to virtualise this server asap. Server has 4 LUNS allocated on the SAN listed below:

• Windows 2003.
  • Drive 1: 1.95TB
  • Drive 2: 1.5TB
  • Drive 3: 1.4TB

The ESX host has multiple Data stores - largest being 2TB.

We want to be able to use Veeam to backup this server.

Questions:

1. Can i virtualise this server. I cant move the data into the ESX Datastores - as 2TB is the limit of EX 4.

I am thinking do a P2V of the C drive of the server and then do a RAW device mapping for the LUNS.

Any help appreciated..

9 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

please note that ESX(i) also has a 2 TB RDM maximum: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf

However, you could P2V the whole thing. When you go through the Converter Wizard, you can click the advanced settings at the destination-target and choose a different LUN for each of your Windows Partitions.

Regards

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

issue is that if i P2v the complete server i will not be able to take snapshot \ backups..

so need to know if i should p2v the c drive and attached the other drives using RDM's

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it is possible but LUN's should be shared with one of the ESX/ESXi host where you migrating physical machine, while adding RDM select physical compatibility, refer http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_mscs.pdf

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks i will review the link today.

will i have an issue with snapshots \ backups?  with the RDM being 2TB?  were does it store the snapshot file?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes for snapshots there is a limit.

Please refer kb 1012384.

Snapshots cannot be taken on rdm in physical mode.

AKU076
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In my environment , i have done similar things , but was not doing any veeam backup.

I will probably try this solution:

1. Do a P2V only your local drives and whatever you need to move as virtual ( only the smaller drives like c  drive any any application installation drives)

2. Shutdown your physical server and ask your San admin to move these LUNs from Physical server to the ESX cluster.

3. Edit the newly created VM add these LUNs as Virtual RDMs. When adding as RDMs the same NTFS volumes will be connected to the vm without modifications.

4. Power on the newly created VM, remove all unwanted apps and drivers.

Please find a paper from VM explaining the virtual Mode RDMs are supported on veeam backups

RDMs explained for Veeam Backup & Replication | Veeam Software Official Blog - Part 1

Please let me know if you have additional questions or help on this.

Thanks

AKU

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the info..

so snapshots are possible with Virtual RDM's - can i not use the RDM in virtual mode in this instance?

Sam

0 Kudos
AKU076
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sam,

Yes what i meant was Virtual "Mode" RDM. When you have virtual mode you can take snapshots. The Veam blog which i attached above certifies that the backup will work.

AKU

0 Kudos
AKU076
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please consider marking the question as answered , if our comments helped you in solving the issue.

Regards

AKU