VMware Cloud Community
jdinze
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 6.5 networking

First let me start by saying I'm fairly novice at ESXi.  The last time i used it was 3.5.  I have tried reading all the material on vmware networking, but somehow it doesnt click with what im seeing on the console. 

I've gotten as far as installing the host and creating a win7 VM.  the problem i am having is getting this VM onto the network and pulling an IP address.  i have two physical NICs on the server. 

Under Networking i have two port groups (VM Network/Management), on vSwitch (vSwitch0), and one VMKernal NIC (vmk0) and one default TCP/IP stack. 

Both port groups are connected to vSwitch0, which i have two up-links (that go to the same swtich and VLAN). 

My mangement network is where i reach my web gui for the ESXi host.  My VM Network is where my WIN7 VM resides. 

what, at a minimum, do i need to get this WIN7 VM to pull an IP and have network connectivity? 

Do i need to install a vCenter Server to configure this?  If so, my plan was to install a server 2008 VM (on said host) and install it there, but i would think i need it to be able to connect to the network first.  or am i just confusing he heck out of this? 

Thanks in advance

I

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

all you actually need is a DHCP server somewhere on your network.

Also make sure that the physical switch ports don't have port-Security enabled. This might limit the number of MAC addresses which can sign in on the ports.

André

0 Kudos
jdinze
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p. 

I have the host connected to a cisco 3560cx running dchp pools for the vlans and no port security.  i have other physical L2 switches branged off of this switch with no problems.  the management IP for the host is connecting fine but when i build a new VM, like my WIN7 box, i do not get a network address. 

here is what i have in the vSwitch.  am i missing something?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
jdinze
Contributor
Contributor

i should also note that setting static IP address information does not work as well leading me to believe there is something wrong with the way i have the vsphere networking set up. 

0 Kudos
jdinze
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so i think i fixed it.  the VLAN ID for the VM network was set to 20 (the vlan that it is connected to on the switch).  i did that because i thought i read somewhere that it would tag the traffic for you in the case of trunking. 

i changed it to 0 (to remove the ID) and then created a second vmkernal NIC to append the VM Network port group to.  now the VM guests are online. 

Great. 

My next clarification would be, do i have to have a separate network for the guests (and a separate NIC), rather than just jumping on the management network?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not even a static IP configuration works?

You mentioned VLANs. Is the ESXi host connected to "Access", or "Trunk" ports on the Cisco switch? In case of "Tunk" ports, how did you configure the VM Port group? In case you set a VLAN-ID for the port group, make sure that it's not the ID of the Cisco ports default/native VLAN. Port groups with access to the physical default/native VLAN must not be tagged.

André

PS: Just read your latest reply after I posted my response. It seems I'm typing too slow. 😉

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMkernel port groups are only required for host traffic. You can always add additional VM port groups to a vSwitch if you want.

André

0 Kudos
jdinze
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thanks for you replies and the assistance!  I will keep this in mind.

jason.

0 Kudos