VMware Cloud Community
ogaiTT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What happens when the Used Space hits the Provisioned Space?

I'm working for the first time with VMWare software and while browsing the Virtual machines i saw that the Used Space was about to hit the Provided Space. I was researching about the definition of these 2 and I don't get one strong and reliable definition. Can someone tell exactly what they are and explain to me what happens when the Used Space hits the Provided Space?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Itsounds like your virtual disk are configured as thin provisioned - their size grows as disk space is consumed - when you hit provisioned equal used is a VM will error if it tries to use more disk spce - usually with an out of disk space error - your options are to add more datastores and move the VMs to the new datastore-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Itsounds like your virtual disk are configured as thin provisioned - their size grows as disk space is consumed - when you hit provisioned equal used is a VM will error if it tries to use more disk spce - usually with an out of disk space error - your options are to add more datastores and move the VMs to the new datastore-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ogaiTT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you that was helpful.

Just one more thing... I still want those definitions :smileysilly:

0 Kudos