VMware Cloud Community
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 2008 R2 + ESX4 + vCenter Client Console = FREEZE

Hello,

i reproduced this several times now and also found a coressponding thread in the microsoft newsgroups, ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/bc0f3c12-eda7-440... ) so here you go:

Install a fresh W2008 R2 to an ESX4 machine, do this all with vCenter Client Console, not with reomte RDP. Add the role

Remote-Desktop-Services to the newly created W2008 R2 machine, reboot, after reboot when the machine tries to finish

the changes (after logon) it totally freezes.

Now the interesting part on that:

If you log on via RDP after the reboot (oh yeah, you urgently need to turn rdp on before reboot!!!), then

the installer of the role WILL FINISH!!!

Now how strange is that? Smiley Wink

Any ideas?

best,

Joerg

0 Kudos
126 Replies
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree that VMware should fix this as the video performance sucks using the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". Even though the mouse driver is installed it just does not feel as smooth as when an actual video driver is installed.

BTW, as a test I completely removed the VMware tools, rebooted and then reinstalled the tools on Server 2008 R2 (using the typical install) and no video driver was installed so I agree that VMware's solution for Server 2008 R2 appears to be just to not install a video driver.

However, I wonder what would happen if you installed the desktop experience if this would prompt the same video driver that Windows 7 uses to be installed?

0 Kudos
rjtd
Contributor
Contributor

I have Desktop Experience on my TS, so I can asure you it will not install any fancy driver there.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

very disappointing. in my opinion, vmware just has NOT fixed this. the w2008r2 console view performance is very poor and it´s a shame there isn´t a driver available until today. esx4 is an enterprise class product. w2008r2 is the new quasi standard in os. vmware just implemented a workaround they posted months ago, and this workaround says, hey, just don´t install ANY graphics driver. Great!

Joerg

0 Kudos
jefmes
Contributor
Contributor

Very disappointing to hear the results you guys are seeing. We have been holding off on implementing Server 2008, partially so we can make a straight 32-bit to 64-bit move (on the Microsoft side) from 2003 R2 to 2008 R2. Considering the majority of our new server deployments are on VMWare, we won't be able to do that until this issue is resolved. I can't have Analysts bugging us about poor console performance, and RDP isn't always an option.

At the very least it would nice to hear an official response on this from VMWare. Yes yes, we know, submit through the official channels...but the truth of the matter is that the community comes together in places like this specifically to discuss these kinds of things and hopefully engage the vendor in the conversation.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

I guess I will hold off on upgrading my host servers that are running windows 2008r2 to this build, as the fix appears to a workaround instead of a real fix.

I have not experienced this crash in day to day operation as I only use the console in the same usage case I would use a remote kvm.

I assume they are still planning to come out with a real fix.

The kb article with that workaround is still active;

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1011709&sl...

It has not been updated with the information that the u1 is a fix, this indicates to me that this is a workaround, and they are still planning a fix.

The problem with this viewpoint is that the u1 release notes, say u1 fixes this issue.

0 Kudos
john_gallucci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like VMware has an updated SVGA II driver after all (see below). I have it properly installed into Windows Server 2008 R2 using the latest VMware tools from ESX 4.0 Update 1.

I ran into this while experimenting with the new VMware View 4.0 and ran into some issues, but that's a different story altogether. It seems that VMware tools will NOT install this driver automatically. Here is what I did.

1. Go to "Device Manager"

2. Right-click the Display Adapter

3. Select Update Driver Software...

4. Select Browse my computer for driver software

5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

6. Select Have Disk... (takes me back to the days of Windows 98)

7. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video and click Next

8. Choose VMware SVGA II (only option) and click Next

9. After a successful install reboot

The installed driver should be as below.

Oh and if you are feeling overzealous and want to install the 3D Graphics driver DONT, it won't work. You get nothing but a black screen and are forced to fix in safe mode.

0 Kudos
Bahramov
Contributor
Contributor

I've set up the driver as per above post and till now work in console. Seems like the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
GeirBjo
Contributor
Contributor

I can imagine this is the story behind this one:

Wmware dev some monthe ago: Since we won't have a new driver ready for U1 lets just change the installation procedure to not install the vmware SVGA driver... Ok done!

Wmware dev some weeks ago: Ah, we just made it. The driver is ready for U1. Lets put it in the Client Tools package. Problem fixed..

Result: Ooops. We forgot to revert the change to the installation procedure made earlier....

Thanks to

john.gallucci<http://communities.vmware.com/people/john.gallucci;jsessionid=76BC05D5DACDC81CFC6A2D7C947BC537> for testing and finding the soltion...

Smiley Happy

2009/11/25 Bahramov <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Windows 2008 R2 + ESX4 + vCenter Client Console = FREEZE":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1425725#1425725

Author : Bahramov

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/Bahramov

0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off the phone with VMware support and we found the drivers under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vmware\Drivers. I tried the SVGA driver and it still locked up the console (could still hit the admin shares but console and rdp was locked up. I booted into vga mode and loaded the wddm_video driver and the 2008 R2 systems I have are running with no console lockups.

Just my experience today on this issue.

Tim

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm told by a colleague who spoke to VMware Tech Support about this issue that Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 are fully supported as guest operating systems by ESX 4 Update 1 and that the video-driver-related freeze has been fixed in the updated VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
jefmes
Contributor
Contributor

But the question remains as LucasAlbers stated - was it actually FIXED by the default/standard methods, or was it "fixed" with a work-around? I don't consider this resolved until I can do a clean install of 2008 R2, install VMTools and have it working properly without additional kludges. Am I'm being too picky? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't had the opportunity to test with a clean install, but again VMware TS specifically told my colleage that the video driver had been fixed in 4.0U1. Hopefully http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709, not edited since before the release of 4.0U1, will be updated to reflect this.

0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I need to explain a little more. I was working with VM tech support today about this exact issue. What we found out was that the Drivers for the SVGA (locked up on me on one system but not a second one....) and the WDDM_video (I decided to use this one and all is working great, no black screens) were not being copied to C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers. They were being place @ C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers. This has been passed onto the developers and will be passed around to the other tech centers so when users who call in can get their issues resolved and get the driver loaded.

The drivers were inclulded but are being copied to the wrong place. Which one you want to use is up to you.

Tim

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the additional detail, Tim. I can confirm that the video driver on Windows 2008 R2 VMs is not being properly updated in the course of the VMware Tools upgrade with ESX 4.0.0 Update 1. Therefore I believe these systems are still at risk for the video freeze issue without further intervention.

On one of our Windows 2008 R2 VMs, where the tools have not been upgraded, the video driver installation folder is located in C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers and the vmx_svga.sys driver file is version 11.6.0.9. This is the version of the driver that is loaded.

On another Windows 2008 R2 VM, where the tools have been upgraded, the video driver installation folder is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers and the vmx_svga.sys driver file is version 11.6.0.31. The C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\video folder has been removed. Unfortunately the loaded driver is still version 11.6.0.9. On the upgraded system there is also a wddm_video folder located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers. The driver file is vm3dmp.sys, version 7.13.1.31. This driver was not present prior to the ESX 4.0.0 Update 1 VMware Tools upgrade.

Just to be clear, is VMware Tech Support now saying that either vmx_svga.sys v11.6.0.31 or vm3dmp.sys v7.13.1.31 will solve the video freeze issue? Which one did you choose and for what reasons? In any event, it is apparent that a manual driver upgrade to one of these will be required. The document "How to Switch between SVGAII and WDDM driver" at http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10124-102-8-8069/3dSwitchWDDM-XPDM.pdf describes the process.

Thanks. Jeff.

0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How come this same video driver in VMWare Workstation 7, that's in this ESX4 update, does not support Aero on a Windows 7 Guest OS?

VMWare SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

Date: 9/17/2009

Version: 7.14.1.31

I have full blown Win7 Aero (WDDM) in my VMWare Workstation 7. The ESX4 U1 update along with updated tools installs this same exact driver. It even states WDDM which means Aero. It's also Virtual Machine Version 7.

0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jeff. I'll explain in better detail on Monday when I have a good internet connect. My current DSL connection is as slow as dialup (I am not joking either which is the sad part). Just gotta love Centurytel or whatever they call themselves now days.

According to VMware TS the drivers from the vSphere 4 Update 1, the 11. 6.00.31 for SVGA II, are the ones that will resolve the freeze issue. I have loaded those on 3 systems and on one I had an issue of it locking up (may have been the old drivers as we did not check the version on them but will do that Monday). On the one that locked up we loaded the WDDM drivers and they are working fine. None of the 3D or desktop enhancements are turned on on the servers but it appears to be working without problems.

Presently a manual update is needed to load the driver. This has been sent onto the developers as a bug/issue. When will we see an update for the driver not loading automatically? Hopefully soon but your guess is as good as mine.

Tim

0 Kudos
jaspain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Tim. I'll ask Santa to bring you a cable modem. I opened a support request with VMware TS to ask for their recommendations for using the new SVGA II driver vs. the WDDM driver. I should hear from them on Monday, since we have Gold S&S. I'll also try building a new Windows Server 2008 R2 guest on ESX 4.0.0U1 and see what happens when I install the tools. Jeff.

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But the question remains as LucasAlbers stated - was it actually FIXED by the default/standard methods, or was it "fixed" with a work-around? I don't consider this resolved until I can do a clean install of 2008 R2, install VMTools and have it working properly without additional kludges. Am I'm being too picky? Smiley Happy

I just did a fresh installation of Server 2008 R2 on my ESXi 4 U1 host and the video driver was not installed! I still had to manually install it from "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\Video" folder and after rebooting it now shows a "VMware SVGA II" adapter using driver version 11.6.0.31.

I'm not sure who at VMware actually tested that the video driver was being installed as part of the VMware Tools package but it appears that someone dropped the ball on this one!

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I should mention that I also still had to go under the video settings and change the Hardware Acceleration to Full. I haven't had to do this in a while but I did for this video driver.

0 Kudos
TimKleen
Contributor
Contributor

Alright. I may now have the correct story from VMware. The SVGA II drivers on the Update 1 tools are not supported on Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2. I have verified that they still lock up. Testing I did told me that logged on as Administrator (account 0) the SVGA II worked fine, could browse folders and the internet. When I logged in with another account with Admin rights on the box it locked up when I opened Windows Explorer and went to browse folders.

The WDDM driver is supported in Windows 7. I am awaiting a call back from TS on the WDDM driver being supported in Server 2008 R2. I do have it installed on my systems now (the 2008 R2 ones anyway) and it does not lock up.

Tim

0 Kudos