VMware Cloud Community
AhmedAdelphi
Contributor
Contributor

error bringing up interface eth0 (host only network adapter)

Hi All,

I have a RHEL virtual machine running on VMWare Server. We have installed ESXi 4.x onto another box, and then used VMWare vCentre Converter Standalone to copy that virtual machine from our VMWare Server to ESXi.

The original virtual machine has the following configuration:

[root@CMV1UPM network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
ETHTOOL_OPTS=
IPADDR=10.230.14.225
NETMASK=255.255.252.0

[root@CMV1UPM network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
ETHTOOL_OPTS=
IPADDR=10.64.11.60
NETMASK=255.255.252.0
GATEWAY=10.64.8.1

When I copy it over to the new ESXi server, for the new virtual machine, I want to keep the IPADDR=10.230.14.225 for eth0. At the moment, when I do service network restart, I get

Bringing up interface eth0: Error, some other host already uses address 10.230.14.225 [FAILED]

This is confusing me. In VMWare Server, for eth1 I would use a bridged network adapter, and for eth0 I would use a host only network adapter. But how can I create those in ESXi using vSphere Client console? At the monent, my network looks like the below:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thank you.

Ahmed

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Networking in ESX(i) is different than what is available in the desktop products. ESX(i) host NIC cards are uplinks from the virtual switches to physical switches etc. Each guest has a virtual NIC(s) connected to a virtual switch.

http://www.vmware.com/technical-resources/virtual-networking/

Please provide a little more information about what you want to accomplish here?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you are wanting to create an isolated network you will need to create a separate vSwitch and attach on vNIC to each vSwitch.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos