VMware Cloud Community
Grimeire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi 6.7 datastore gone but boot fine

Running VMware ESXi 6.7.0 build-20497097

The other day i reboot the ESXI for a passthough NIC all of a sudden was not working and restarting the VM had no affect. After the reboot the ESXI host booted correctly without any issues but all of the VMs were showing as missing/lost.

I accessed the host via SSH and could not see the data store and when i when to create a new data source i didnt have the option of deleting and creating a new data store.

Luckily this host has multiple storage devices and there was backups of the VMs on the other storage devices but the problem i have now is there is a 2TB SSD that i can not access and can not format to be usable for VMs again.

Other than reinstalling ESXI on the 2TB SSD and recreating the data store is there any options to bring back the existing Datastore or to format it so i can use it again for VMs. If i select full disk will this delete the ESXI boot partition which would mean i would need to reinstall. I cant seem to just format the existing datastore.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.05.00 p.m..png

I found some other threads with similar issues but none say what the cause of this issue is? Anyone have any clue of the cause of the issue is so i can prevent it happening again.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Grimeire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for getting back to me.

I just done a fresh install. Hopefully it wont happen again

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the command esxcli storage vmfs snapshot list show an output that's related to the missing datastore?

André

Grimeire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for getting back to me.

I just done a fresh install. Hopefully it wont happen again

Tags (1)
0 Kudos