VMware Cloud Community
stimko
Contributor
Contributor

esxi transfering large files

sorry if this is a stupied question but its bugging me, I have 2 esxi host now and each have some scratch storage drives that house offsan backups, isos, etc.. I'm trying to move them to a new esxi host (basicaly moving local esxi files to another esxi host). I'm using unsupported mode and running a scp but I'm getting very slow speed transfers < 5-10mb/s, even tho the systems are all on gig uplinks...

Is there a better way to do this?

Leads to another problem, I have VC running on local drives on host A but want to move it to host B locals...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try VEEAM fastSCP http://veeam.com

Do you have battery backed write caching enabled in your controllers. Makes a huge difference.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
stimko
Contributor
Contributor

I do have veeam, problem is the rig is a few hudnred miles away (access it via vpn). Is veeam is smart enough to make the transfer happen without using my workstation, don't think so.

still seems weird that the transfers are so slow directly to the esxi host, I can go much faster direct to a vm. Wonder if the manaement interface isn't allowing gig..

I might have to throw up a dumb wintel box just for datastore transfers...

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If you have to move or copy from one ESXi to another consider also to use the scp comman from one ESXi.

It is still slow (the management console has a very limited set of resources) but it does not require a flow on your client.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do have veeam, problem is the rig is a few hudnred miles away (access it via vpn). Is veeam is smart enough to make the transfer happen without using my workstation, don't think so.

Yes, Veeam is smart enough to do so Smiley Happy

However, in order for direct copy to work, both ESXi hosts must be under the same vCenter, and you should be adding actual vCenter server to FastSCP, instead of adding your two ESXi hosts as standalone hosts.

Hope this helps!

Gostev @ VEEAM

0 Kudos
stimko
Contributor
Contributor

I can't do that..

the large vm I'm trying to move is my virtual center / veeam backup win2003 server...

Still don'tunderstand why so slow network speeds when doing console scp, there has to be a way to speed this up?

0 Kudos
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DSTAVERT is correct, adding and enabling battery backed write cache will help with the speed. VMFS write speed really benefits from that. You won't notice much difference with SCP, but for FastSCP speed should improve significantly.

0 Kudos
stimko
Contributor
Contributor

local drive is a simple sata controller, no local raid. I don't want to put the veeam backups on san cause thats what I'm backing up... plus not cost effective. inital problem is the first host doesn't have a big enough HD to store backups, hence the reason to move it to host b with larger HDs.

0 Kudos
wavesound
Contributor
Contributor

If you don't mind "going rogue" you can enable FTP on your console.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_FTP.php

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vsphere console speeds are read limited, at least they were before update 1....search for poor backup performance and you will find threads on it...also check esxpress and vizioncore forums...they both have been bitten by the limits...

If you are coping from server to server you are probably gonig through the consoles.

0 Kudos
Gostev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vsphere console speeds are read limited, at least they were before update 1....search for poor backup performance and you will find threads on it...also check esxpress and vizioncore forums...they both have been bitten by the limits...

If you are coping from server to server you are probably gonig through the consoles.

That limit is around 20MB/s though, not 5-10MB/s as in OP's case.

0 Kudos