VMware Cloud Community
hikcaocw
Contributor
Contributor

how many virtual disks can i add in a virtual machine?

hello !

I want to add 72 SCSI disks to a virtual machine,but I only add 60 scsi disks,and cannot add scsi controllers,is vm's limitation? (ESXI 6)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

yes, that's the limit 60 scsi disks max, because a VM will take max 4 virtual scsi adapters and per adapter you can add upto 15 devices.

more can be added if you opt for AHCI (SATA) using web client in vSphere 5.5 or 6.0

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
hikcaocw
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

0 Kudos
Kisan_VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

for more infomation

Storage Virtual Adapters and Devices Virtual SCSI adapters per virtual machine 4

Virtual SCSI targets per virtual SCSI adapter 15 Any combination of disk or VMDirectPath SCSI target.

Virtual SCSI targets per virtual machine 60

Virtual disk size 62 TB

IDE controllers per virtual machine 1 Supports two channels (primary and secondary) each with a master and slave device.

IDE devices per virtual machine 4 Devices can be either CD-ROM or disk.

Floppy controllers per virtual machine 1

Floppy devices per virtual machine 2 BIOS is configured for one floppy device.

Virtual SATA adapters per virtual machine 4

Virtual SATA devices per virtual SATA adapter 30 Devices can be either CD-ROM or disk

0 Kudos
aquila828282
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, what do you mean when you say:

"""""yes, that's the limit 60 scsi disks max, because a VM will take max 4 virtual scsi adapters and per adapter you can add up to 15 devices""""" ?

Does it mean that for each virtual SCSI adapter on a VM there can correspond up to a maximum of 15 real physical devices?

That is, with a virtual adapter can you physically connect 15 devices?

0 Kudos
Robulus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The virtual SCSI adapter can support a max 15 virtual disks and you can have a max of 4 virtual SCSI adapters for a total of 60 virtual disks supported.  Those virtual disks are made from the datastore(s) configured on the ESX host.  The physical underlying disks would be managed by the RAID controller on the host hardware.