VMware Cloud Community
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

how to set the guest OS use dynamic IP address

My previous question seems make confused , sorry to post a new question here.

I just setup esxi 8 with a static IP address , I installed a new windows guest host in it , I want this guest host use dynamic IP address ( as I do not have enough IP address for so many guest hosts ) so that user can remote access to this guest OS  , just would like to ask how to do it ?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From a networking point of view, a guest (VM) acts similar as a physical system when it comes to DHCP.
Simply provide a DHCP server with a scope for the guest subnet, and make sure that it is reachable from the guest subnet, i.e. is either in the same subnet, or you have a DHCP helper configured on the physical network.

ANdré

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply , 

sorry to my fool , I need setup a new DHCP server ( another guest host ) eg. windows server  ?

0 Kudos
zchris06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes, in your case you will need a DHCP server. 

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply ,

except setting a new DHCP server , is it possible to set the guest OS can connect internet via wifi adapter , so that the guest OS get the IP address from router ?

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You've asked this already in another discussion.

Maybe it will help, if you can explain your setup. It's not clear to me why you say that you don't have enough IP addresses for the guests, but on the other hand you want to get addresses from the router.

André

0 Kudos
patrickchan701
Contributor
Contributor

thanks reply,

What I ask post in my first thread is not clear , so I created this new thread .

0 Kudos