VMware Cloud Community
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ks.cfg - Add local Permissions to standalone host

vESXi 4.1 b260247

I am working on a script for numerous automated deployments. I can add a user, change its password and should be able to assign the new acct to a group with -g root but this doesnt add the new acct to the root group. Any ideas why -g isnt assigning the root group from the line below?

i.e. useradd -g root -u 500 -c LocalESXaccount localesx

Next, this access alone does not allow remote VIC to the host. I have to manually alter the Permissions tab logged in as say root and add the new acct with Administrator perms. Anyone know how to compose verbage to perform this task in my kickstart script?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
smackthat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I figured out the 2nd half of my own question. This cmd will grant Administrator privileges to the localesx account as performed manually via GUI on the Permissions tab. The account must pre-exist, so create that via useradd first!

vim-cmd hostsvc/auth/entity_permission_add vim.Folder:ha-folder-root 'localesx' false Admin true

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100685...

KB Article: 1006853

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. In previous versions of ESX you have to use "-G" to add user to supplementary groups and "-g" to make the group the default group for the user.

2. Take a look at examples %post scripts at ESXi Installable and vCenter Server Setup Guide

0 Kudos