VMware Cloud Community
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

reset cbt - cannot get rid of ctk-vmdk files

Hi, I have a known issue with the backup of my VMs where I need to reset CBT. The procedure I got from the backup software is this;

Solution:

Please follow the below steps to reset CBT for a specific VM.

1. Power off the VM

2. Right click the VM, click “Edit settings”, find the “Options” tab and click “Configuration Parameters”

3. Set the “ctkEnabled” value to false

4. Set the “scsi0:x.ctkEnabled” value to false for each disk of the VM in question

5. Open the source folder and remove any -CTK.VMDK files.

6. Power on the VM

7. Power off the VM again. This step is needed to update the CTK table.

8. Power on the VM

9. Rerun Backup job.

So I have 2 VMs. VM1 and VM2. Both are win2k12 r2 (they we're created the same day, the same way, std win2k12 r2 installation, patches, etc...). At step 5, for both servers, even if I delete those ctk.vmdk files, they are automatically reproduced so I can't delete them. So I continued with the steps neverthless. After step 8, I saw that for VM1, there are no longer ctk.vmdk files so they we're deleted somewhere in the process by the server itself. So my guess is that step 5 is irrelevant. The problem I have is that even though I did the exact same thing for VM2, ctk.vmdk files are never deleted. I have reboot 3 times, I have tried to delete them manually multiple times, they always come back, they never get deleted.

So basically, I cannot reset the cbt on VM2. I have doubled check that ctkenabled are all to "false" (tried uppercase also) still no luck. Any ideas how I could get rid of those ctk.vmdk files?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, turned out that there was a snapshot. As soon as I deleted it, those ctk files dissapeared.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The automatic backuptool that creates the cfk-file seems to be active - for one VM it has an active backup job while it has no job for the second VM

0 Kudos
dufour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, turned out that there was a snapshot. As soon as I deleted it, those ctk files dissapeared.

Regards