VMware Cloud Community
kenjackson
Contributor
Contributor

steep performance drop when going from 4.0 to 4.1

I have a default install of Esx 4.0.  I created a VM running Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2005.  I did no tweaking of any configuration settings, it was very much a default install of ESX and everything just ran as it should.  My write throughput was inserting 1800 rows/s in my SQL Server.

I decided to do an upgrade of my ESX server to 4.1.  I reinstalled ESX 4.1 from scratch, overwriting my 4.0 install, and re-added my VM.  Again, I did no tweaking, and my insert performance dropped to 600 rows/s.

Then I downgraded back to 4.0 by overwriting my 4.1 install, again with no tweaking.  The performance went back up to 1800 rows/s.

Is there something known that would cause this behavior with 4.1?  In terms of tracking down what could be causing this hefty performance drop, is there any log files or configuration settings I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

kj

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

did you upgrade the vmware tools of the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
kenjackson
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the VMTools on the VM was upgraded to the version of the ESX 4.1 (it was ESX 4.1 U1).

0 Kudos
kenjackson
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering if anyone else might have any ideas on what the problem could be, or what logs I should check to see what could be causing this tremendous slow down.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

0 Kudos