VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert

upgrade esx4.0 u4 --> esxi5 fails "vmk and sc ports on same subnet"

I've imported the hp esxi5 image into update manager. The scan of a host works fine, produces this message:

"VMkernel and Service Console network interfaces are sharing the same subnet 172.20.204.0 This configuration is not supported after upgrade. Only one interface should connect to subnet 172.20.204.0"
Then when I attempt to remediate, the process fails quickly saying to review the scan results. Huh? zillions of ESX hosts have SC and vmk ports on the same subnet. Why would this be a problem, how do I fix it?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't come across an explanation for this yet. However, I assume the reason for this is that the SC gets converted to another VMKernel port (Management Port) in ESXi 5.0 and there might be issues with routing the network traffic through the correct interface.

André

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the remediation failure may be due to some other issues. coz the error " ◦VMkernel and Service Console network interfaces are sharing the same subnet . This configuration is not supported after upgrade. Only one interface should connect to subnet . " can be safely ignored and force remediate the upgrade baseline.

its documented in VUM 5.0 release notes  under Known issues in http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-update-manager-50-release-notes.html#issues

Pls check for any other errors in scan result

0 Kudos