VMware Cloud Community
george_nussbaum
Contributor
Contributor

upgrading to 4.0u2 from 3.5 - partition question

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading to 4.0. when I installed 3.5 I took the default system partitions. Will I be able to re-partition during the upgrade? It looks like I'll need much more partition space. Can I borrow the extra space available for where my vm's live?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MattG
Expert
Expert

I am pretty sure you cannot repartition during upgrade. Why not just reinstall ESX clean? Is your server part of a cluster?

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe an upgrade is going to give you the option to change your partition sizes. Your best bet is to do a fresh install and change then.

0 Kudos
george_nussbaum
Contributor
Contributor

No, not part of a cluster. It's a very standard ESX setup. no VMotion. Just a standalone server with VM's. I just don't want to lose my VM's

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

answer is still a clean install.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Troy is correct. An upgrade does not allow you to repartition. Only a clean install gives you that option.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Another option would be to install ESXi to USB and not touch the datastore. ESXi will recognize the existing datastore and all the existing VMs. You will need to reconfigure but if you don't have an overly complex set up should only take a few minutes. Import your existing VMs and you are back in business.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
george_nussbaum
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies...I upgraded successfully. I miscalculated my space. Sorry for being an idiot

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The ESX console is now a VM on the datastore.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos