VMware Cloud Community
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 4 and HP MSA2012i

Anyone tried this yet? It's not on the HCL yet, but I reeeeeeaally hope it will be. We just got this SAN last year, and getting a different one would be a hard sell right now.

0 Kudos
125 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have no production VMs running with this configuration, but our test servers are running vSphere connected to an MSA2012fc and running perfectly.

Of course the fibre connection means we're not dealing with exactly the same hardware.

kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I set up a barebones ESX 4 box and it seems to hook up to the 2012i without a problem. The VM boots, does I/O, and there we are. I'm not sure what else to test, really, but it seems functional. I just hope that it shows up on the HCL soon--I'm very leery about upgrading my production environment (even if it is small) without that.

Any ideas on how to nudge VMware to test it out? I've sent in a feature request already...

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

I currently use MSA2012i and fc in production, but our SAN engineer is very disappointed with them.

So I suppose we'll move to another storage, EVA perhaps as soon as it will be available.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think we have that option. I guess we'll be running unsupported for a while.

0 Kudos
D2k
Contributor
Contributor

I already try that configuration with my Blade 460c G1 + MSA 2012i using the same methods for ESXi 3.5 but it seams nothin happen on Vsphere 4 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

What exactly fails for you? Mine hooks up no problem (as long as I've got the VLANs straight...) I haven't played with much other than opening one VM and booting it, but it does seem to function just fine. I'm using an ML350G5 for this test, with an Intel gigE card.

0 Kudos
D2k
Contributor
Contributor

I got accidently shutdown my ESXi 3.5 and try to search MSA storage with my ESX4 and voila... ESX4 successfully mount MSA2012i

My conclusion is, MSA2021i cant connect at the same time between ESXi 3.5 and ESX4, well it just my 2 cents... CMIW Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Hunh. Mine is working just fine with two 3.5 servers and 1 4.0 server, as well as my backupexec Win2k3 server.

0 Kudos
D2k
Contributor
Contributor

Well, then is there any secret command that i should do in order to get my MSA works on several ESX server ?

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to HP this morning. They're working on some firmware updates before they submit for certification. The guy said a couple of weeks to a month.

0 Kudos
KWBS
Contributor
Contributor

We are using MSA2012i with ML350 G5 (ESXi4) and DL380 G5 (ESXi3.5). Works fine, actually.

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone any news about this ?

I wonder why it takes so long for HP to certify this hardware for ESX4....

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen nothing. Perhaps someone else needs to contact HP? The more nagging they get, the more likely they are to get it done...

0 Kudos
AndyMcM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

<BUMP>

Anyone got any news on this one??

Has anyone spoken to HP to see where they are, I see they are releasing an MSA2000 G2 model, guess there focus is on getting that certified!!! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The MSA 2000 G2 is released already.

There are different versions of the MSA2000, the MSA2000fc G2 (fibre channel) is certified for ESX4. The MSA 2000i G2 (iSCSI) is not yet certified for ESX4.

I have contacted HP about this, they expect certification ready in Q3....

0 Kudos
AndyMcM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers ZeRoCool, shall keep an eye out for this.

A.

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for checking with HP, ZeRo. Q3 is disappointing, but it’s nice to know they’re still at least telling people they’re working on it.

Next time I buy the Equallogics... Yeesh.

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor

Gotta note that we're in Q3 already... and they've released iSCSI firmware on 8/3/09. However, there's nothing about vSphere in the release notes. One hopes that's the version they're talking about, but it hasn't passed qualification yet.

0 Kudos
KWBS
Contributor
Contributor

sry Smiley Wink

0 Kudos