VMware Cloud Community
wimax
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere problem whit USB.

Hi guys,
USB ports on my PC are not recognized by the virtual machines in vSphere.
From the tab "edit setting" I added the USB controller but are not recognized. I can not connect my hard drive with the virtual machine

How can I fix this?addhard.png

It can depend on my notebook?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did this sometime back in my local work station. I am assuming you are doing this in work station.

I have added USB Controller and enabled it. So, when ever I use the USB stick, My was able to detect it just fine.

Check this out http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_devices_usb_connect.html

Please award point if it answers your question or helpful to you.

0 Kudos
wimax
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am working with ESXi 5.1. With VMware Workstation is working properly.

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The USB device must be connected to the ESX/ESXi host on which the virtual machine is running. Did you connect the USB drives to ESX hosts or local system?

0 Kudos
wimax
Contributor
Contributor

Why the USB device must be connected to the ESX host? I want to connect my hard-disk(western digital) from my pc to the virtual machine (guest) created with ESXi.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When you edit the settings for a VM and add a USB device there it has to be a host connected device.   To add a USB device connected to your PC, open a console session and then click on the Connect / Disconnect USB devices icon.

kb.vmware.com/kb/1022290

0 Kudos
wimax
Contributor
Contributor

"open a console session and then click on the Connect / Disconnect USB devices icon". This isn't possible. Taking all the steps you described, however not allow me to connect any usb device (hard disk, pen drive, etc.).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is the option grayed out in the vSphere client?  If so have you added a USB controller device to the VM?

0 Kudos
wimax
Contributor
Contributor

No it isn't gray! is clickable. Yes I added a USB controller to the VM. My colleagues can connect your pen drive on the VM. I don't. This makes me assume that it is a problem of my notebook.

0 Kudos