VMware Cloud Community
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

when install esxi on vmware workstation....this message appear.....any idea please?

logs are stored on non-persistent storage consult product documentation to configure a syslog server or a scratch partition.

15 Replies
ccopol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

ESXi system logs need to be stored on a permanent device (for example a datastore) otherwise they will disappear after a reboot. Therefore in case of any host issues, you won’t be able to examine its logs or provide any data to VMWare support. This is what this message is about.

You will find useful information in this KB : VMware Knowledge Base

Is it a test environment or production ?

Which value is set in the advanced configuration of the ESXi ?

Log in to the ESXI in HTML5, click >Configure > System > Advanced configuration and look for Syslog.global.logDir

Regards,

Cedric

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the size of the virtual ESXi host's installation disk?

At which point do you see this message? During, or after the installation?

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please post threads in the product areas for product issues. Thread moved to the ESXi area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Its a very common message when the disk on which you have installed ESXi is very small and the installer doesnt have created a VMFS based datastore. Than the scratch configuration points to that default datastore.

Move on and create a datastore so you can point the scratch partition to that one. Otherwise you can suppress the warning because its only a virtual test system.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

200 giga

during installation before select a disk to install ... and after press f11

and i try on different pc but show thesame masseage

and i succeed to install it before month in same pc and same software  !!!!!

0 Kudos
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

i already instaled on permanent local device

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

See VMware Knowledge Base

and be sure that youre not effected by VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

during installation before select a disk to install ... and after press f11

That's expected, because at that time the disk has not been formatted yet, and logs are stored in memory during the installation. The message should disappear after the installation, and the final reboot.

Anré

yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

but when this message appear it doesnot continue installation

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure why it switches to that screen, but you should be able to switch back to the installation screen by pressing - I think - ALT-F2.

I can't reproduce this at the moment, so in case it's not ALT-F2, please try the oter F-Keys as well.

André

PS: In case your host is a Notebook, it may be possible that F-Keys require that you also need to press the [Fn].

0 Kudos
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

when i press alt+f2 back me to EULA page

then when press alt+f11 to accept EULA ...show the same massage

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To accept the EULA it's just "F11" without ALT.

André

0 Kudos
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

Yes...but in vmmware workstation press alt with f11 to progress

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ALT-F11 switches between screens, whereas F11 is supposed to confirm the selection.

Does an application on your host use F11, or - as mentioned before - are you running the installation on e.g. a notebook which requires the Fn Key to be pressed for the F-Keys?

André

0 Kudos
yes63146546
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it work by fn+ f11 ...thank you very much

0 Kudos