VMware Cloud Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

32 Bit vs 64 Bit

Question for the guru's:

If given the option to run a 64 bit VM or a 32 bit VM what should I choose given the following scenario:

Guest OS is Windows Server 2003 running SQL 2005 with 2 vCPU's and 1024 MB of RAM (possible increasing).

I am using VI3 (ESX3.0.2) on Xeon 5160 CPU's.

I probably will not hit the 3GB limit so I know that will not be a selling point to use 64 bit, but are there any other compelling reasons?

Will performance be better / more efficient in the VM or on the ESX host by using 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

I am trying to decide whether I should consider moving this server to the 64bit versions of W2k3 and SQL or remain on the 32 bit versions.

Thanks!

-Ed

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jlauro
Expert
Expert

In general, if the VM isn't going to have more than 4GB of memory, 32 bit is better.

However, if you think you will start out with <4GB, but possibly upgrade it in the future, you might be better off with 64-bit so you can change in the future easily and the overhead of running 64-bit isn't that large so it doesn't hurt much to be non optimal... (Hurts more to run 32-bit OS and have it use more than 4GB of RAM).