VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Architecture direction for 2009 : Intel Nehalem EP 2 Socket versus AMD Shanghai 4 Socket versus AMD Istanbul 4 Socket

I started this discussion to get out technical differences for Intel's Nehalem and AMD architecture, which include AMD Istanbul (comes 2009), but exclude Intels Nehalem EX, comes 2010.

Today we only use 4 socket Server. Most are AMD Barcelona , but although Intel Tigertons. So all Quad Core.

What are the differences for one over the other architecture:

• 2 Socket , - 4 Socket , number of dimms, downgrade of memory speed , scheduler, cpu queueing, hyperthreading (are thread 1 to 8 equal to thread 9 to 16), vmmark results.

CPU Part

Intel Nehalem EP System

AMD Shanghai

AMD Istanbul

VMmark result

Expected 30

Sockets

Cores per Socket

2 x 4

4 x 4

4 x 6

Threads

Hypertreading

-

-

Threads Total

Caches

Intel Nehalem EP System

AMD Shanghai

AMD Istanbul

L1 cache size (max)

32 KB D-cache + 32 KB L1 instruction cache per core

64KB (Data) + 64KB (Instruction) per core

64KB (Data) + 64KB (Instruction) per core

L2 cache size (max)

256 KB low latency L2 cache per core

512KB per core

512KB per core

L3 cache size (max)

8 MB shared L3 cache

6MB (shared)

6 MB or more

SIMD Instruction Set Support

SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A

SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A

AMD Infos

Intel Nehalem ?

Memory Controller

Intel QPI

AMD Hypertransport

AMD Hypertransport

Version

HT1.1

HT3

Memory frequencies

800/1066/1333

677/800

800/1066/1333

DDR Technology

DDR3

DDR2

DDR3 with Fiorano platform

QuickPath Connect bandwidth per CPU

25,6 GB/s

Maximum Memory Bandwidth 4P System

51.2GB/s

higher

?

?

Maximum I/O bandwidth with 4P System

32.0GB/s

higher

Maximum QuickPath Connect bandwidth

51,2 GB/s

Maximum Total Bandwidth 4P System

83.2GB/s

higher

Not finished yet.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

Where are you getting "Expected 30" for Istanbul? And comparing a Quad Socket Istanbul to a dual socket Nehalem is not fair.

And not stating the number of tiles in a VMMark result is also leaving out a significant portion of the meaning. Without the tiles, the Nehalem clearly is better then Shanghai, but since the number of tiles was also higher, it means its that much better the Shanghai.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Fred,

I totally agree on the 2S vs 4S. 23 @2S vs 30 (expected) @4S is a no brainer. Especially if you take into account sw licensing.

What I don't understand is your tiles comment. My limited understanding of this benchmark is that a tile is a way to make the server spin. The bigger the server is the more tiles you have to have to saturate it. At the end of the day is the normalized number (i.e. 23, 30 etc etc) that matters. In fact I am not even sure why they call out the # of tiles. Tiles in my mind are similar to the # of workstations you need to have to generate the requests for a TPC-C benchmark.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

I do agree if Intel had an Intel 4 socket server based on integrated memory controller. Then I although do a comparision between Intel and AMD 4 socket servers.

On the other hand is price and the availablity of systems. From rumors intel nehalem systems are available in May and AMD in Jun 2009.

Although I like to have both cpu vendors in a big vmware farm. AMD is from my perspective the 64 Bit leader in X86 space. It although native.

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

I guess I don't know enough about how VMMark results are reported, but you always see the tiles mentioned. It was my understanding that a tile is a set number of VM's loaded up so having a number that is marginally better on what is supposed to be a faster server could be hurtful to its sale - until you mention that that marginally better number was actually because it was doing a whole lot more. If you made it do the same amount of work, the result number would be higher.

Guess I have some reading to do on VMMark results and what they really mean.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Guess I have some reading to do on VMMark results and what they really mean.

Welcome to the club.

I have always seen the tiles as a mean to generate the score number. I have always tried not to think about scenarios where a given server could score 20 with 10 tiles and another server could score 15 with 13 tiles. Which one would be better? That's why, for clarity, I would not personally highlight the # of tiles and I would rather only list the score. As I said the tile, in my mind, is just the "tool" to get to the score and as such should not be relevant.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

What about the esx scheduler?

Nehalem 2 socket ( 8 cores)

18 dimm slots with max 144 GB and 800 MHZ speed

7 cores and 1 for esx service console. 8 native threads and 8 hyperthreads (Hyperthreads can only get 30 % of the native threads !

Intel VT-d could be an advantage . But till now no performance values available.

AMD 4 socket server (16 cores) .

15 cores and 1 core for the service console. 16 native threads. Advantage better parallel queing and/or better garantied MHZ.

32 dimm slots with 128 (256) and 667 MMZ speed.

Both are plattforms near equal priced when both use same ram capacity.

0 Kudos