VMware Cloud Community
ahmetmete
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configuring Network For VMware

Hi,

I have an headless linux server which has a vmware linux image inside. I am running that image through linux and that image has an IP like 192.168.16.2.

My server has an IP like 212.212.212.212.

The vmware image has a domain name like xyz.com and the image has some services like httpd, pop3 etc.

So i want to connect to 192.168.16.2 when i enter 212.212.212.212 or xyz.com from outside.

Should i forward ports from iptables to 192.168.16.2 from the server?

or

Should i forward from DNS server? (but it will not work for IP address)

or

What should i do? Smiley Happy

What is the best way to configure it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ypeace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you got one public ip for your vmware guest you can use bridget network...

so no port forwarding is necessary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ypeace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

port forward, since you got an internal ip for your guest

VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Use NAT if you only have 1 public IP and you are serving (or want to serve) more internal servers in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

ahmetmete
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually forgot to say, i don't prefer port forwarding because it uses so many ports including special applications, so it is not good option i think, but if it's best, i will use. Smiley Happy

Host server has 7 public IPs and 1 internal IP which is for vmware.

1 public IP is shared IP, many domains are using that IP and i want to associate one IP from the other IPs. It will be exclusive for vmware and for xyz.com. I already set the domain up in vmware. So is the NAT still good option?

0 Kudos
ypeace
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you got one public ip for your vmware guest you can use bridget network...

so no port forwarding is necessary

0 Kudos
ahmetmete
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, i think this is the proper solution. I lookked bridged network setting but i could not find how to assign to that IP, is there any settings for that? It is only activate bridged network but doesn't have any association settings.

Thanks all,

Edit: I ve solved it, it has own public IP. Thanks for that, but i can connect from the host machine, i can also connect to internet via vmware but i cannot connect to vmware from outside. It gives the timed out error. Should i route something (i even closed firewall but it is still same.)

Message was edited by:

ahmetmete

0 Kudos