VMware Cloud Community
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host network design - esxi

Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a new host and would like opinions of which solution is best for the network config.

Dell Server, 8 pNics.  Need access to 3 vlans, 10, 20, 30.  I will be using 2 pNics for vMotion and Mgmt so my question is just around the VM networks.  After VMotion and Mgmt, I will have 6 pNics that I can use for the VM's.

Option 1

On the physical switch side, create a Etherchannel using 4 ports.  Trunk this so it can access all 3 vlans.  On the Virtual side, create 1 vswitch with 3 port groups that are tagged for each of the 3 vlans.  Team all 4 nics together as Active/Active.  This would leave 2 unused pNics

Option 2

On the physical switch side.  Create 3 sets of trunked ports, 1 set for each of my 3 vlans.  On the Virtual Side, create 3 switches and add 2 pnics per switch.  Team these nics Active/Passive.  This would use all 6 pNics 

Option 3

Something totally different that would accomplish my goals.  Using up to 6 pNics, give the VM's access to 3 different vlans.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One of the reasons for the mentioned configuration is simplicity for setup (I'm no dedicated network guy.). IMO there won't be a real benfit in configuring EtherChannel for the VM Network, because VMware currently does not support LACP (except with the NEXUS 1000V add-on).

from http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004048

Supported Cisco configuration: EtherChannel Mode ON – ( Enable Etherchannel only)

If you have the necessary hardware (stackable switches) you can certainly setup EtherChannel if you prefer.

Also, what is the benefit of keeping all the port groups on 1 switch vs breaking it our into 3 vswitches?

With the option I mentioned, there's no need for additional vSwitches. With one vSwitch and 6 uplinks you will have a pretty good load distribution as well as redundancy in case of multiple failures.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Option 3:

Configure 6 physical ports on at least 2 different switches as trunk ports (no EtherChannel) and allow all 3 VLANs on each port. In ESXi create one vSwitch with 3 port groups (1 for each VLAN) and 6 uplinks. Leave the default policy on "Route based on originating port ID".

This will provide redundancy even for a physical switch failure.

André

0 Kudos
xianmacx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

Thank you for the response.  I should have mentioned, both of my options are across multiple physical switches.  So with that being said, why would you not use etherchannel to agg the ports?  What is the benefit of your solution 3 over a 4 port etherchannel?  Also, what is the benefit of keeping all the port groups on 1 switch vs breaking it our into 3 vswitches?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Ian

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One of the reasons for the mentioned configuration is simplicity for setup (I'm no dedicated network guy.). IMO there won't be a real benfit in configuring EtherChannel for the VM Network, because VMware currently does not support LACP (except with the NEXUS 1000V add-on).

from http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004048

Supported Cisco configuration: EtherChannel Mode ON – ( Enable Etherchannel only)

If you have the necessary hardware (stackable switches) you can certainly setup EtherChannel if you prefer.

Also, what is the benefit of keeping all the port groups on 1 switch vs breaking it our into 3 vswitches?

With the option I mentioned, there's no need for additional vSwitches. With one vSwitch and 6 uplinks you will have a pretty good load distribution as well as redundancy in case of multiple failures.

André

0 Kudos