VMware Cloud Community
MalcO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ISCSI disks - single vs multiple

Is there a preferred method for these, ie. is it better to have one large ISCSI disk containing all the virtual machines or is it better to have smaller disks 1 for each virtual machine? Any ideas suggestions welcome.

many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cmanucy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

2TB without using extents.

There is a limit of the number of LUNs an ESX host can access as well - so your 1:1 model doesn't scale well.

(Current) best practice reccomendation is 500GB LUNs, but you really need to make sure this fits with your needs. I would say 10-15 VM's per LUN is generally a good rule of thumb.

If you're running MS OS's, you can also use the iSCSI initiator for additional disks (think data) which will provide better I/O than using VMWare's iSCSI intitator.

---- Carter Manucy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you mean VMFS volumes storing the VMDK files of your VM ? Or do you mean RDM volumes?

With respect to having a VMFS volume, you want to work out the size of the VM's you are going to be deploying, an estimate of the swap size , the snapshot space per VM that maybe required and the number of VM's per VMFS volume. You want to try and limit your VMFS volumes to 10-15 VMs so that SCSI locking does not start to cause a problem.

In my configuration I have a 200GB LUN with a VMFS volume for 10 VMs each with disks of 15GB. The 50GB remaining in the volume is reserved for each VMs swap file, snapshots and a little overhead for extra disks.

MalcO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We currently have 32 virtual machines each VMFS volume is on a separate LUN (32 LUNS), is it better for performance to have 1 large LUN with the 32 VMFS volumes in it?

0 Kudos
George_B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How many VMs (VMDKs) do you have per VMFS volume? Is it one VM per VMFS volume on each LUN? This seems a rather complex way of organising it. I am not sure about performance but management would be difficult.

0 Kudos
MalcO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes currently we have 1 VM per VMFS vol per LUN, is there a limit to the disk space that can be allocated to a LUN?

0 Kudos
cmanucy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

2TB without using extents.

There is a limit of the number of LUNs an ESX host can access as well - so your 1:1 model doesn't scale well.

(Current) best practice reccomendation is 500GB LUNs, but you really need to make sure this fits with your needs. I would say 10-15 VM's per LUN is generally a good rule of thumb.

If you're running MS OS's, you can also use the iSCSI initiator for additional disks (think data) which will provide better I/O than using VMWare's iSCSI intitator.

---- Carter Manucy
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A single LUN can be up to 2 TB, but as mentioned you'll want to limit the total number of VMs per LUN to minimize problems with SCSI reservations. A reservation occurs for certain file operations when a host has to for example create a file or expand one. When that happens, the entire LUN is locked momentarily and I/O to all other VMs is paused. It's very brief, but if you have too many VMs on a LUN then it can start to be an issue if it happening too often.

MalcO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks for this, will go for 500Gb wih 10 machines on each.

0 Kudos