VMware Cloud Community
simon_l
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Licensing Question - ESX 2.5.2 & VC 1.3.1

I'm hoping someone out there in the world of VMware can help. Let me explain my current position then what I'm trying to achieve.

We started our VMware experience with a stand alone ESX server running 2.5.2 and no VC to act as part of a proof of concept project. Naturally the project went well so we decided to introduce a production VMware ESX farm supported by VC. The proof of concept server did not form part of the new farm as it was moving to our DR site there remained stand alone.

Our current VMware farm is made up of 4 ESX 2.5.2 (Build 20193) hosts managed by VC 1.3.1 (Build 18881). We have just started a project to increase the capacity but in the short term we need additional capacity.

I'd like to introduce our proof of concept server on a temporary basis for around 4 months to give me the capacity I need.

My problem is that I do not seem to be able to order the necessary licenses for my current environment. All that is being offered by VMware is either upgrade to VC 2.0 or install a demo license. Both of these are not an option at present.

Has anyone else been able to get hold of ESX 2.5.x / VC 1.x licenses, if so how?

Whilst I appreciate that most will be moving to VI3 and the current licensing structure there must be companies out there who wish to expand their current 2.5.x farms for a while longer?

Any help would be welcome.

Kind regards

Si

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rievax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simon,

If you talk directly with VMware, I am sure they can sell you the required licenses... but what a waste of money just for 4 months! I'm pretty sure that if you explain your problem, they will agree on renewing the demo licence after each month...

My 2 cents...

Cheers,

XR

0 Kudos
simon_l
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simon,

If you talk directly with VMware, I am sure they can

sell you the required licenses... but what a waste of

money just for 4 months! I'm pretty sure that if you

explain your problem, they will agree on renewing the

demo licence after each month...

My 2 cents...

Cheers,

XR

Thanks for your reply, I do not want to go down the demo license route, too messy. I've managed to get the ESX host in the farm using the key provided on the in the archive section of 2.5 but here is no VMotion services available with this key. I guess I need to work on that part now, almost there.

Si

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Talk to your local Vmware SE (System Engineer), I'm willing to bet he could help you out with licenses based on the fact you are a current customer and looking to upgrade to VI3. If you do not know how they are call Vmware and find out who your local sales rep is and call them and ask to talk to the SE.

http://www.vmware.com/company/office_uk.html

0 Kudos
simon_l
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Talk to your local Vmware SE (System Engineer), I'm

willing to bet he could help you out with licenses

based on the fact you are a current customer and

looking to upgrade to VI3. If you do not know how

they are call Vmware and find out who your local

sales rep is and call them and ask to talk to the

SE.

http://www.vmware.com/company/office_uk.html

Many thanks, we currently working on it, all I need is the VMotion element now. It must be easier to get blood out of a stone!

Si

0 Kudos
simon_l
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMotion license finally installed, blood has been obtained from a stone. The biggest problem has been getting the various elements of the supply chain to understand my requirements and agree on whats required.

Si

0 Kudos