VMware Cloud Community
abraxas-si
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking for optimal HW and SW configuration

I am planning to setup a VMware server on which 4 Win2003 guests: "Exchange 2007 Server","SQL 2005 Server","Application Server","Development Server" supporting workgroup of 20 users will run. I have two dilemmas:

\- is it better to run VMWare server on Windows or Linux platform in my scenario?

\- what kind of hardware would be appropriate (I thought Dell PE2900 + 16 GB RAM + 2 x QuadCore E5320 + RAID5 4 x SAS 146 15K disks)?

Thank you a lot for your suggestions and comments.

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not really - both work well.

The performance isn't that much different.

One host might be a little faster regarding the network whereas the other might be faster regarding disk.

There are a few differences to consider

\- pricing (especially when your host needs to support 16GB RAM)

\- updating and patching (monthly MS patch days can become a nightmare)

\- support options

\- not to forget the company guidelines

I personally would use Linux - or even better go for ESX :smileygrin:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

- is it better to run VMWare server on Windows or Linux platform in my scenario?

This should depend on your knowledge / your willingless to learn.

- what kind of hardware would be appropriate (I thought Dell PE2900 + 16 GB RAM + 2 x QuadCore E5320 + RAID5 4 x SAS 146 15K disks)?

Depending on the load I would probably replace the RAID5 with a RAID10 (this also depends on how much drives the PE2900 can handle).

abraxas-si
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks oreeh!

Maybe I should put my first question regarding Linux vs. Windows this way: are there some performance penalties if you ran different OS on server than guest?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not really - both work well.

The performance isn't that much different.

One host might be a little faster regarding the network whereas the other might be faster regarding disk.

There are a few differences to consider

\- pricing (especially when your host needs to support 16GB RAM)

\- updating and patching (monthly MS patch days can become a nightmare)

\- support options

\- not to forget the company guidelines

I personally would use Linux - or even better go for ESX :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're considering windows as the host then I would suggest going with ESX starter edition as it is only around $1000 so the licensing cost may be a moot issue and you would have a performance gain over VMware Server on both Windows or Linux.

I would also considering stuffing the 2900 with as many drives (10) as it will take. 4 drives as you mention in the original post would be insufficient especially given that you want to run SQL and Exchange. RAID wise I would go with a large RAID 10 array.

oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Starter edition only supports 8GB RAM !

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My bad - it's still a bit early here Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sizarraga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you want to use Windows, you need only one Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition License, because it support one host and 4 guests.

I Prefer to use a Linux server and 4 VMs with Windows 2003 Std Ed.

But the must important issue is if you have skills on Linux or not

0 Kudos
smithg001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have found while the Windows version of VMware server fits better into my environment, that the Linux OS is more tunable and therefore by disabling alot in the build I can reduce the Linux overhead more.

0 Kudos