VMware Cloud Community
yans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Newbie: Is VirtualCenter Management necessary/useful for 1 phycal server?

Hello.

It is my first posting here.

My company needs to make a decision on buying a ESX Server (1 Physical server w/ minimum of 3 VMs running to emulate a customer's environment). It is really not necessary to perform HA or VMotion or other advanced features.

My question is, is it absolutely necessary to purchase Virtual Center Management. I know it is a useful software especially when there are multiple physical servers but we have a budget constraint. Could someone give me recommendation? I would be particularly interested in knowing how difficult the life of the Admin will be if it is not purchased.

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Cheers,

\- Yan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>My question is, is it absolutely necessary to purchase Virtual Center

Management.

No, not necessary. On a single server it will only bring;

\- template support

\- historical performance data

However, it will be a strategic piece if you intend (nned) to grow the farm at a later (soon) date.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With only one server to manage I wouldn't include VirtualCenter.

VCs main power lies in the ability to manage multiple ESX servers. With only one server the standard VI client logged into the host server will provide all you need.

bister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One benefit which is provided by VC is the ability to use virtual machine templates easily.

davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>My question is, is it absolutely necessary to purchase Virtual Center

Management.

No, not necessary. On a single server it will only bring;

\- template support

\- historical performance data

However, it will be a strategic piece if you intend (nned) to grow the farm at a later (soon) date.

Dave

0 Kudos
stuart_ling
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you are using Windows domains you will also be able to grant access to the environment through Domain accounts.

0 Kudos
yans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This Forum is amazing: after posting my first question, within an hour many useful answers.

From the information I got, I will wait to purchase VirtualCenter Management until I get a second server (which is very unlikely anyhow).

Thank you again.

\- Yan

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you are using Windows domains you will also be

able to grant access to the environment through Domain accounts.

If you've got several users, this is more important than it may at first appear. The ability to manage user accounts from a central repository is significant - and not having to create user accounts on your ESX box is great[/i]

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Good point, I forgot that one Smiley Happy

We don't make VC an option for our customers - it's a must in our book, big or small!

Dave

0 Kudos