VMware Cloud Community
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

SLES for VMware released

SLES optimized to run on vSphere was just released (09-01-2010).

If you have a valid vSpeher support contract you get SLES support contract (patches, etc.) for free:

Find more here:

http://www.novell.com/news/press/vmware-and-novell-deliver-suse-linux-enterprise-server-for-vmware/

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
1 Reply
devzero
Expert
Expert

Only partially true.

There is a HUGE caveat with this, as it`s not enough to have vSphere4/5 under valid  subscription to qualify for VMWare SLES subscription.

The keys must be at least vSphere4 at time of purchase, i.e., if any of the key you want to gernerate a SLES activation code for is based on an older vmware purchase which has been updated (i.e. VI3 purchase, updated to vSphere4 and then vSphere5 because of SnS contract), then you are NOT eligible to run SLES for Vmware on that.

I learned that the hard way, as i found today that 12 of our 18 vSphere Standard Licenses where bought at VI3 time and Vmware refuses to provide SLES subscription for those.

So - what you get with a  vSphere4/5 license depends on when the license initially has been purchased and if it has been upgraded via SnS from a former version.

This sucks BIG , especially the website is telling only half of the truth and gives a wrong impression - see those two excerpts below.

Oh - and one more - VMware SLES is NOT optimized in any way to run on vSphere. It`s technically the same, only some RPMs` related to branding/logo and online update/licensing stuff are different from the normal SLES from Novell. The kernel is absolutely identical, for example.

regards
Roland

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/02/suse-linux-enterprise-server-for-vmware-now-available-to-man...

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server For VMware Now Available To Many More VMware vSphere Customers

-snip-
"As you may already know, since last September 1st we have provided SLES for VMware at no additional cost over vSphere to customers
who purchased qualifying vSphere licenses on or after June 9th 2010. Since its release, SLES for VMware has attracted tremendous interest
not only among those vSphere customers who were entitled, but also among those who weren’t. For this reason, over the last couple of months
we worked hard to make it possible also for customers who purchased vSphere before June 9th 2010 to receive free access to SLES for VMware.
At the same time, we wanted to simplify the process with which customers can verify if they are entitled and activate the product, as I discuss few lines below"

-snip-

I am very happy to share some very exciting news for VMware vSphere customers: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware - VMware’s OEMed version
of Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) - is now available for free to customers with qualifying VMware vSphere licenses regardless of when these licenses were purchased.

-snip-

So, who is entitled to SLES for VMware now?
There are only two conditions to qualify for SLES for VMware:
Run vSphere 4.0 U2 or later
Be active on qualifying VMware vSphere SnS SKUs (complete list is shown here). As you will find out, it includes the vast majority of VMware vSphere SnS SKUs

-snip-

http://www.vmware.com/products/sles-for-vmware/faq.html

What are the conditions to qualify for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware?
Own qualified and active vSphere SnS contracts.
Run VMware vSphere hosts of 4.0 U2 and higher
Have an active VMware vSphere Support and Subscription (SnS) contract

0 Kudos