VMware Cloud Community
ocarmona
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Storage with Fibre Channel SAN

Is there a way to have Shared Storage with an AX150 FC SAN? How would I create a Virtual Cluster?

I have an ESX connected to a FABRIC SWITCH , Also Connected to the FC Switch is an AX150 Fibre Channel - (not iSCSI) - To my understanding I can ONLY assign a virtual disk to 1 server.

So for example my current File Server has a Raw Mapped LUN to a Virtual DisK (LUN) that is connected to the ESX. -- But How can I create Shared Storage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

Hi there

Read the following thread, it has a similar piece of kit to yours (AX100). You might find that it is not possible with what you have:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1092394#1092394

You could create a shared storage area with Freenas or Openfiler on a VM or physical server with access to local attached storage.

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Yes you can. I have done this with an AX100.

I'll assume you already have a LUN (formatted to VMFS) that is holding your virtual machines (OS disk etc)

Create another LUN with navisphere and then rescan the storage adaptors on your ESX server(s). The LUN will appear but do not format iti here, leave it raw.

The VM that the RDM is going to be added to needs to be shut down.

Once the VM is shutdown right click the VM and choose "Edit settings".

On the hardware tab, click "Add" and choose "Hard Disk".

For the disk type choose "Raw Device Mapping" (RDM).

Choose the LUN.

Store with virtual machine.

Physical compatability.

Virtual Device Node choose a new SCSI bus to the currecnt virtual disks (e.g. SCSI 1:0).

Confirm settings and choose finish. A new SCSI controller can hard disk is added. Now boot your VM.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
ocarmona
Contributor
Contributor

atbnet,

Yes I have done that. BUT that only solves the issue with 1 server.... what do I do to connect the other server?

BTW, I did store the pointer file with the virtual machine but if it's a share drive is it wise to do this? or store it in another location?

0 Kudos