VMware Cloud Community
EclipseAgent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What recourse would restarting a Service Console have?

I know it would shut down the hosts using autoshutdow, but would it cause any connectivity issues to the Fiber Cards / SAN that would cause the machines to not be powered up?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

If you restart the service console, it will not affect any vm's then will tend to work. restart will refresh the vpxd service with management server.

Thanks

EclipseAgent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about changing the vSwitch configuration (NLB / Failover) would that cause connectivity loss? Thanks.

0 Kudos
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Is your production vm's portgroup is in the vswitch you are talking about ? then if you reconfigure you might loose your connectivity to vms

Thanks

0 Kudos
EclipseAgent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, here is the situation.

Today someone made a change to our system. He went to make a change to the vSwitch. When he modified the vSwitch the VM's all powered off. Which to me makes it seem as though the service console restarted which can cause an auto shutdown. (Note that connectivity to the VMKernel was also lost.

But after I restored Service Console access for him, I was unable to power on any of the VM's because connectivity to the SAN was down (not sure what caused that, possibly connectivity loss to VMKernel). At this point the box was just hard reset (it housed the a File Server and some other major VM's).

I have not found out 100% what changes to the vSwitch were done. When I logged on and say them they were set to NLB and I believe one of the NIC's in the 2 NIC NLB was unhooked (which was originally the one that had the VMKernel and Service Console on).

I am just trying to find out what caused the power off of the VM's (which I believe was the reset of the Service Console) and if it was, what caused the restart of the service console?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

There is a bug in which the command service mgmt-vmware restart will cause VMs to restart or stop. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003312

0 Kudos